Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arto Leinonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

We are planning a marathon to watch all the movies and play few rounds of Hogwarts Battle in between. Time is really issue here, because the movies take about 20 hours.

There will be four players who all have have played deckbuilders before. How long does one game last? I expect that games 4-7 will be longer.

Also, would you suggest to play first three boxes together (as suggested by the rulebook for advanced players)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
first 3 games are about 30 min to 45. I expect the rest to average and hour to an hour and a half. If all your group are familiar with deckbuilders, starting with 3 or even 4 should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wurtil
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personal experience:

Games 1-2: ~30 minutes
Games 3-4: ~45 minutes
Games 5-6: ~1 hour
Game 7: ~1.5-2 hours

The slow buildup in playing time in the first 6 games has a lot to do with just adding more villains in each year so you have to play more turns to get enough lightning bolts to finish them all off. Game 7 gets a new mechanic that in our experiences ends up adding significantly to the play-time so far (especially the first time through with Year 7).

You certainly can jump straight through the first years with no real consequences, but one part of the charm of this game I really appreciated was seeing the game change with each additional year and how thematically they tied it to the movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
Two players:

Games 1-6: 45 min
Game 7: 2 hours

wurtil wrote:
You certainly can jump straight through the first years with no real consequences, but one part of the charm of this game I really appreciated was seeing the game change with each additional year and how thematically they tied it to the movies.

+1. I definitely wouldn't have gotten as much of a laugh out of opening the Game 3 box if we hadn't played Games 1 and 2 first. If you're marathoning all the movies, I'd say start at Game 1 just for the thematic resonance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
If you eat your burrito over a tortilla, anything that falls out will simply start building your next burrito!
badge
The first rule of chess club; Hide from fight club.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played four player solo and here are my game times:

1 30 minutes
2 1 hour
3 1.5 hours
4 1.5 hours
5 1.5 hours
6 2 hours
7 2.5 hours

As mentioned, the main increase in playtime is just the number of villains you have to defeat. You start with only 3 villains but by game four you have 13.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The time build up with more villains is slightly offset by some of the heros generating 10-15 attacks in a single turn towards the end of the game.

But yes, time to play each book ramps up slightly, and is offset by experience with the cards and the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Leinonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's now 06 monday morning and i'm in a bus heading back to home. Epic weekend! We went with rhytm movie - game - movie, starting from saturday morning 09 and ending sunday evening 23. We made it up to game five, but had to play game four SIX times to get a win! That messed up the timetable ofcourse, so we tried (and lost) game 5 once after movie 6. Weekend was super fun, and this is a very enjoyable game. Recommend.

First three games took something like 45-60 minutes, and games 4-5 took 45-90 minutes each try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 experienced gamers playing (with little to no extraneous table talk):

game 1 & 2: 45-60 mins
game 3 & 4: 60-75 mins
game 5: 105 mins (had a slow start because of useless cards in the market)
game 7: ~ 120 mins (2 games so far)

And we have won all our games (except one year 6 game).
(I would guess that the game takes longer if you lose.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.