Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Questions about the animal companions.

1) A player rolls on the gryph-hound chart if they use a Command(+2) action. So, if a player doesn't do that Command action...the gryph-hound doesn't move at all? So it's possible for the Warpriest to move several tiles away and the gryph-hound gets left behind? If so, seems the warpriest has to use dice every round or so to keep the gryph-hound in place. Can the gryph-hound be attacked and killed?

2) My kids come in both flavors, so female characters are of high interest to me. Getting that Branchwych was a priority. It looks like I can model the BitterGrub on its own base. I wonder if I can do up a small Bittergrub card sort of like the gryph-hound. Give the Bittergrub more personality so my daughter can have a character with a 'pet' as well. Any suggestions on what three actions would be on a Bittergrub card? Maybe just the same as three as the gryph-hound? Would I replace the Branchwych's Bittergrub attack with something else (maybe a simple rename)? Would I have the Bittergrub be able to be attacked and killed as well? Maybe she can throw it for an attack, then it spends the next few turns moving back to her?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I don't have the cards on me, so I may be wrong, but I believe you have the Pet mechanic wrong. In general, a character with a Pet model (Necromancer and Warpriest) can use the noted action to choose the action that the pet will take this turn. Then, if the action is NOT taken, you roll for the pet's behavior at the end of your turn.

2) You certainly can just retheme the Gryph Hound for the Bittergrub, but I do think it's more interesting to come up with your own rules for it. In general, you'll need:

Action Table - what the pet may do at the end of the turn and what actions the player can tell it to do;

Armour/Move/Vigour - Like Players, the pets can negate some damage that comes their way, and like adversaries they can take a certain amount of damage before being removed. And, just like everything, they can only move so far in a given turn;

Attack(s) - You'll need to have at an attack the pet can perform, and you may be justified in creating 2 if the pet justifies it;

Control Pet action - How many pips does it take for the player to control the pet instead of rolling randomly;

Come Back - How do you bring the pet back when it is inevitably destroyed by the monsters. The simplest is that it returns during a Respite (like the Gryph Hound), but setting it as an Action can work as well - but there are a few other options as well that we've not seen yet.

I'd definitely suggest posting up a thread in the Variants forum to work through the design of it, because it can be tricky to get it balanced - but it is quite rewarding when you do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are all fantastic suggestions. Cheers!

I'm not an AoS player (yet...), so I'll see if I can get the AoS stats for the Gryph-hound and Bittergrub, then use the comparison to cook up some Bittergrub actions in Silver Tower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:
1) I don't have the cards on me, so I may be wrong, but I believe you have the Pet mechanic wrong. In general, a character with a Pet model (Necromancer and Warpriest) can use the noted action to choose the action that the pet will take this turn. Then, if the action is NOT taken, you roll for the pet's behavior at the end of your turn.

This is correct. The hound always acts, but you can use a dice to choose the action rather than getting a random action.

And for the OP: here are your warscrolls (you can get most warscrolls for free from the GW site):
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/...
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the gryph-hound in Silver Tower, I don't see his stats for attack and damage. What does it roll to hit and how much damage? also, it doesn't look to have a save value, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Hooligan wrote:
Looking at the gryph-hound in Silver Tower, I don't see his stats for attack and damage. What does it roll to hit and how much damage? also, it doesn't look to have a save value, correct?

Hits on a 4+, does 1 wound. This is on the back of the gryph-hound's card.

He doesn't have a save value, he has vigour like the bad guys. This is on the front of his card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a first attempt of revising the Branchwych over in the variants folder as suggested. I'd love for you to check it out. I've probably left something off doing this from work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.