Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I backed Game of Blame on KS, primarily because its cheap, I wanted a small card game for pubs/cafe tables to replace LoveLetter, and I like to support UK designers when I can afford it.

Received the game dead on time, end of September, and managed to get my first 3 games in, so thought I would give a quick review

Component Quality
Its just a deck of cards, and the function well. They look good, have a lot of historical (not necessarily accurate) detail on them, and the icons/colours, which are effectively the suits, work well. The one downside is the box is very very tight and does not have room for the 10 cards from the KS exclusive pack, which is a shame and could have been easily avoided.

Gameplay
You take on one of 6 roles, each of which has a special power and corresponds to one of the 6 suits. At the end of the game you count the number of suits in your hand that matches your current role. However your role can change throughout the game. The player with the least wins

On your turn you choose to play 0-3 cards, and the number of cards you play defines your next action. eg if you play 2 cards you swap 2 roles. If you play 3 cards you accuse someone, then go through the discard deck counting the suits that match your current role and your opponents. The one with the most matching suits in the discard deck takes the blame (and the cards)

A playthrough takes 15-20 minutes

Playthrough
First run through we were all very cautious about blaming people, so the discard deck built up and no one accused anyone.

Second game we realised getting a lot of cards in your hand (say by being accused) early on wasn't a big deal and in fact allowed you to control the game to some degree. This game was far more active and aligns to what the designer was aiming for I think.

Third Game was similar to the 2nd, except no one had enough cards to play 3 and therefore accuse people for a while, which meant the discard pile built up to a point where no one was prepared to accuse anyone lest they end up with a handful of cards late in the game that they had little chance to discard/utilise.

Verdict
A good game, easy to explain and understand that has some nice skulduggery. I think the discard pack building up too much could be a recurrent problem and feel like there should be a way to address/avoid this - Maybe if a player plays 4 cards the discard pile is recycled?

We weren't always sure we could manage the outcomes, eg on the penultimate turn, hands of cards were exchanged which meant one of the players went from having 1 card to 10. I suspect if we had played more often she might have been able to manage or avoid this situation.

I also wonder if the deck is a little small for a 4 player game, as pretty soon you are near the end of game and you will have had little time to deploy a strategy. Maybe 3 players is better

But overall it ticks the reasons I bought it, on time, good price and it will take over from LoveLetters for a while, so job done :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Played 3 games of this last night at Handycon.

First game was fine. However for the next games we use the Queens Fool and Lord and Ladies rule - Whoever lost the previous round had to be insulted by the other players whenever he was referred to, and whoever won had to be referred to as M'lord. Penalty is 'Taking the Blame' ie picking up the discard deck.

it made a pleasant, challenging game a real laugh and hoot and the names and insults stuck for the rest of the night!

Amazing that such a simple device could produce so much mirth!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.