mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello All,

I'm getting there with my game, and thinkthat it's sometihg that I may be able to take further. Currently the board is done using MS Visio, which is "funtional" but thats about it.

I was wondering what's the industry standard? If I need to get this published myself, what format will the printers need the board image to be in?

Any ideas?

Cheers
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no industry-standard per-se.

The Adobe Creative suite is as close as you can get to a standard.

A printer will need a print-ready file created in some kind of desktop publishing software that supports CMYK color output.

This can be done with:

Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe InDesign
Quark Xpress
Corel Draw
...and more I'm sure...but these are the best.

Unfortunately for the hobbyist, these packages are quite pricey and have a steep learning curve.

I would suggest putting together a very tight design with clear instructions and finding a graphic designer to help you prepare the files for the printer. You may even be able to find a student who will do the work on the cheap, for the experience. If you have a tight design you can negotiate a fixed project rate (with limited rounds of changes). That way you won't have any surprises when you get the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Major Sholto wrote:
Unfortunately for the hobbyist, these packages are quite pricey and have a steep learning curve.

The hobbyist on a budget should probably use The Gimp ( http://www.gimp.org/ ) - it's a multi-platform open-source freeware image authoring software. It it _as good as_ Photoshop? Of course not. But it provides an awful lot of the same functionality at absolutely zero cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Kalajian Jr
United States
Simsbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use The Gimp, Inkscape, Scribus, Google Sketchup, Open Office, and all sorts of other Open Source packages to do my designing.

Haven't had a problem yet.

EDIT: I also use wridea (wridea.com) to manage my ideas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who, until recently, worked in the printing industry (commercial bulk printing, not gameboards, though) we used to work primarily through PDFs though we could also use other image formats (TIFF being the favored second).

If you are ready to get the board done, Adobe does have a 30 (or is it 60) day trial of most of their software. I personally use the creative suite but, being a college student (once again), I can get some software at student discount prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
In addition to The Gimp for bitmap graphics you might want to look at Inkscape for vector art: http://www.inkscape.org/. To be perfectly honest, though, if you're not sure what the industry standard applications for design are then you'd probably be better off hiring a Graphic Designer to take your concepts to the next stage.

EDIT: Now that I've hit the Submit button I've noticed that rkalajian's post already mentions Inkscape In an effort to be useful I'll also point you to another open source 3D app called Art of Illusion: http://www.artofillusion.org
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Vriese
United States
Newberg
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Decent alternatives to the professional Adobe products are made by a company called Serif (http://www.serif.com). They also run another site (http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/) where you can download older versions of their products to try.

They're based in England, but have a US presence.

Doei!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's not too tedious a design, I would be happy to help you out. I work in Photoshop all day long. I sometimes get tired of working on my own projects and wouldn't mind helping out a fellow game designer. Cards are a pain but boards are fun to do. Send me a detailed description and I'll see if it's something I can knock out for you.
A full size board design at 300 DPI, CMYK Tiff is a rather large file but my system will have no problem with it.

You can see a few of the boards I've done in my profile gallery or if you look up "Hatchlings"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, this is some great feedback thank you very much!

Rune, I may well take you up on your kind offer! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikehibbert wrote:
Guys, this is some great feedback thank you very much!

Rune, I may well take you up on your kind offer! Thanks!

you got it. Just let me know. I'm trying to dial in a bunch of prototypes before The coming "Gamex" convention in Los Angeles. I'm only bringing a few of my gateway games but I just love working on the artwork!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.