Sean Stone
United Kingdom
Epsom, East Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
IS NICE, I LIKE
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

So I have Eldritch Horror with all current expansions and we love it and play it once every fortnight. I am now really wanting to get Descent 2.0 after doing some research into the app and the recent updates they've made to it. My question is: Is there room in a collection for both games? I mean realistically, they're both long co-op games with RPG elements and dice chucking (I would solely be playing Descent with the app). I fear that buying Descent may replace Eldritch altogether. Does anyone own both games or has at least played both and can comment on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Weber
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think getting games to the table is a universal problem for anyone that gets into the hobby. It's also the reason that I haven't focused on expanding my collection until recently. There are other people in my game group that have more than enough games to keep us satisfied. If you get Descent you will play Eldritch less, but there is no reason you can't play both. If you can't bear to play Eldritch less then you need to game more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and play both. They're quite different. Descent (with the app) is a dungeon crawl, campaign driven experience. While they both have items and dice, they really don't feel the same at all. In Descent, you'll be gaining new items and skills between quests and carrying them through a longer campaign, basically like a tabletop RPG game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are different enough in my opinion, even with Descent 2 in full coop mode.

Descent 2 is more of a tactical combat/skirmish game which features in the coop variant even random map generation.

Eldritch Horror is less about combat and tactics but about strategy and storytelling.

The way characters develope is also in comparison very different. While both games share the idea of gaining equipment, spells, ect., Eldritch Horror streamlines character growth with character statistics, while Descent 2 allows the players to choose from a pool of unique skills, allowing them to fine-tune their character in a very specific way, even across multiple scenarios in a campaign.

The feeling of pace in of both games is also very different. Descent 2 feels in comparison faster, with the players sticking together and firing off their skills in a way that is focussed on synergies and the current situation (which makes sense, because it's combat-focussed). Eldritch Horror on the other hand has the players more spread out and travelling across the world, travelling is slow (which makes thematically perfect sense) and single decisions have more weight.

And let's not forget that Descent 2 of course has a ton of nice miniatures. Eldritch Horror on the other hand delivers a nice constant feeling of impending doom and if you win the game, it feels like an achievement.

There's space for both games on your shelf, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Stone
United Kingdom
Epsom, East Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
IS NICE, I LIKE
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the detailed response, Kyur!

I will buy it. I need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome.
I just realised that we have crossed paths before on BGG in one of my geeklists.

Have fun with Descent 2 ! The fact that it's app-based in coop mode will also make it a different experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's a universal fact, that if you buy new games, your time to play them will not also increase accordingly.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.