Subject: Do recent geopolitical events warrant an expansion?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
With the latest round of tension between Russia and NATO/USA, would a 2016 expansion be fun? What new mechanics or effects might be included?

concepts:

Missile Defense

Hybrid War

Cyber Attacks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the purist in me says "Hands off my TS" while the history-degree-that-I'm-not-using in me definitely wants an expansion.

Georgian War

Crimean Invasion

Chechen attacks

Ukrainian Referendum

Malaysian Airlines 17

Syrian Conflict

Not to mention all the happenings in North Korea

It'd be a fun game. Not quite "cold war" in the sense that the original game was/is, but still, a small expansion would be doable. Have to tack on a few more turns if you're going to run with the world leaders rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of wonder if Arab Spring would be divided into individual regions' events or just be one event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Dektyarev
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think cold war thematic is good due to balance. At one hand, it was not so long ago, and most players knows at least something about most of events. At the other, it was long ago enough so most players are not especially emotionally attached to events.
Taking older period breaks the first property, taking modern (especially current events) breaks the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan,

I"m with Jeremy on this one (also with a History degree), in that the focus is the Cold War which had a discernible start and end period. Having said that, you may want to try your hand at developing and designing a game for the 21st C. using the same game mechanics but a completely new set of cards aimed at asymmetric warfare, terrorism, etc. My Masters is i International relations and I've worn the uniform for more than two decades, so the game may actually have wide appeal.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You want to play Labyrinth, The awakening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Interesting responses. I'm seeing a common thread among academics. I too have both a History and International Relations degree, this subject is right in my wheelhouse, so to speak.

Excellent points brought up.

1. The Cold War as presented in TS can be regarded as "in, and of itself". A worthy, stand-alone event for this game's coverage.

2. Are we entering a new Cold War? Yes, in that it manifests in proxy wars and political manuevering rather than outright conflict. No, in that its not a grand ideological tug-of-war of competitive modes of government, economy and society.

it begs the question, what mechanic then would represent what we're seeing now? TS gives us a "push, but not too hard" element. Whats the modern iteration of this? (if any)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
general hoth wrote:
You want to play Labyrinth, The awakening.

It is true that Labyrinth would be the game that focuses on combating Jihadis which is one big aspect of current warfare.

The COIN series mechanics feel like the right idea toward modern conflicts in many ways. Have you played any of those games?

But the cold war that is depicted in TS really did end with the fall of the Berlin Wall. I am not saying that the conflict ended, but it changed to something else. I feel like an expansion of TS would not really work thematically.

A game that even attempted to get at the complexity of the struggles happening today, would most likely have to be at least as complex as Here I Stand. Many factions, totally asymmetrical factions with different win conditions, lots of negotiation, diplomacy, covert ops, etc.

Sounds like a design challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very regularly I send current events as TS cards to a friend of mine.
I wish I could retrieve them.
I think this is a great idea.
I'm sure community could throw together some pnp ideas for sleeves.
I don't think trying to pick up at right where this game ended is ideal.
And not expecting perfect balance- just a nod to the fans- would be neat for a fluid outflow of cards as global politics change. And all the purists have to do is stay away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I think not an expansion for TS, but a new game entirely, and a third player or bot would be needed for China because they've become a major player on the world stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game system already handles most of this type of thing, I think.

Quote:
Georgian War

Crimean Invasion

Russians realigning using their adjacency bonus?

Quote:
Chechen attacks

The "Terrorism" event card?

Quote:
Syrian Conflict

One sides coup followed by the other side counter couping the same country?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the conflicts are a bit larger and more widespread in effect than would require a mere realignment roll or coup back-and-forth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Of Kirkcudbright
msg tools
I thought Duterte's comments regarding separating from the US were very TS and may take on even more resonance in future.

Strange as it may sound, given the wars etc in TS, what I really don't like is the aeroplane disaster card so I would give the Malaysian flight the miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.