Eric Meyers
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
This may be an impossible debate to have without spoilers, but I figured I'd try. We're quickly running out of scenarios in the core set--before I repeat one, is there one of the four that stands up particularly well to repeated plays? With either different outcomes or enough room for improvisation within the framework?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
The first one. 4 map layouts (6 w/ exp). Designed to be the one to be repeated to teach new people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Second or third scenario of the first campaign.
First one has a very static board... both other have multiple cards for the same location so you may get different card actions based on which of those locations is picked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thearkhammonk wrote:
First one has a very static board... both other have multiple cards for the same location so you may get different card actions based on which of those locations is picked.

Are you talking about the right game? Because I get the feeling you're talking about Arkham Horror: The Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiet wrote:
thearkhammonk wrote:

Are you talking about the right game? Because I get the feeling you're talking about Arkham Horror: The Card Game.

Excuse the thread hijack but is that any good? I'm always unsure about card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vincentdante wrote:
Wiet wrote:
thearkhammonk wrote:

Excuse the thread hijack but is that any good? I'm always unsure about card games.

Click on the link above and skim through the forum to find out if you like it. Thats the usual approach There are already some videos if you prefer those.
It's not even released yet, but so far it looks like the game is goona be quite good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
vincentdante wrote:
Wiet wrote:
thearkhammonk wrote:

Click on the link above and skim through the forum to find out if you like it. Thats the usual approach There are already some videos if you prefer those.
It's not even released yet, but so far it looks like the game is goona be quite good!

Yeah I've been through the forums quite a few times but not much luck. Thanks for the tip that there are videos though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First one seems to have variety in what tiles it will use. It's probably the least interesting scenario but it will be different at least. I woulda been disappointed that Innsmouth in comparison doesn't seem to have any variety like that, but I'm so happy that they captured the feeling of Innsmouth so perfectly that I'm not even mad.

I have not experienced the others yet. I get the sad feeling that likes Innsmouth, the others will be much more crafted and much less flexible as result, but I also have hope that new scenarios upcoming might change that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn W
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been through the app a bunch of times on the first scenario but I've only seen three different starting tiles (two from the core, and one from the expansions). Do they different configurations for the rest of the mansion? How did you come up with six layouts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up the two Figure and Tile Collections and have yet to play with them activated, but I have played the first scenario "Cycles of Eternity" three times and had the layout be exactly the same every time. I was hoping it would change, but it didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VoidCircuit wrote:
I've been through the app a bunch of times on the first scenario but I've only seen three different starting tiles (two from the core, and one from the expansions). Do they different configurations for the rest of the mansion? How did you come up with six layouts?

Yes, there are different layouts with the same starting tile.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The layouts all have the ritual taking place in a different room, which is the easiest way to count them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dax is
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I played Escape from Innsmouth 12 times because I kept failing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Replayability largely depends on how many attempts it takes you to 'win' (complete the investigation to use the game's terminology) it. None of the scenarios have the kind of variation to make them interesting to keep playing beyond that.

With that in mind I would say the ones with the higher difficulty ratings are the most replayable. My experience is that anything rated 3 stars or lower will not present much of a challenge and thus will not be very replayable, regardless of map variation. YMMV but I think it's not unreasonable to expect just 2 plays from these: the first one to 'complete the investigation' successfully, the second to experiment with whatever 'variation' it has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.