Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe
United Kingdom
Bath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm probably the least practical person I know, but I think I can handle this project with a little help.

I'm thinking of purchasing these wooden ships: https://www.spielematerial.de/en/schiffe-kingdom-builder.htm...

But I need one more colour than the company supplies. So, I was thinking of buying an extra set and painting over it.

What kind of paint do you advise using?
And what should I use to protect the components after being painted?

Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A decent brush-on acrylic paint would be cheap, but if you're painting many pieces, it can be a lot of work. It's usually also hard to get a thin, smooth layer of paint without any major brushstrokes showing since the pieces are already finished. You can sand them down to create a more textured surface for the paint to stick to if you don't like the brushstroke aesthetic.

It's a little bit more expensive, but any basic spraypaint should work pretty well. I think I used cheap Krylon colors from Walmart when I recolored some pieces from spielematerial. Fast, simple, and my friends have no idea there shouldn't actually be a purple team in Settlers.

In either case, use the gray ships for your recolor sets. The other colors will require more coats to cover up.

EDIT: Sorry, protection, yes. The spray paint will usually act as it's own protection for gentle use. For acrylic paints or just extra protection, you can apply a layer of acrylic sealer. See this thread for a bunch of options. I'd advise avoiding Mod Podge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recommend a spray paint. It's likely there's already some sort of protective finish on the pieces, which means paint might not stick well and might chip off easily. I'd recommend getting a can of coloured primer (can might call it "Primer + Paint".) Army Painter makes really good coloured primer, but at a hardware store you can find some cheap stuff that will work just fine.

For protection, you'll want some sort of clear, matt or satin varnish. There are good ones by Testors and Liquitex that are spray or brush on. I'd suggest matt or satin, but if the original pieces are really shiny, then a gloss varnish might work too. You might want to consider varnishing all the pieces, even the ones that are already painted, just so they all have the same finish to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend that you:

a) Use some 120-240grit sanding paper (not actual sandpaper/glasspaper, that stuff is awful) to sand off the top layer of paint. You don't have to get rid of all the colour, but make sure there's no glossy areas left on the surface or whatever paint you use - primer or no - it'll be fragile and scratch off easily.

b) If you have spray primer, use the spray primer first. By preference white for bright colours (red, yellow, pink etc.) or grey for other colours (green, brown, etc.).

c) Go to Halfords and buy some car paint for the final colour coat. You can get little tester brush-on bottles if you don't want to spend too much, or a big spray can if you don't care or you have a lot of stuff to paint.

d i) If you spray anything, then:
- Shake the can for at least the recommended time.
- Make sure the can is warm before spraying - leave it in a bucket of warm water or laid over a radiator or something.
- Don't spray when it's really humid.
- Start spraying one side of the thing and end spraying the other side; cans sometimes spit when you start or stop and you don't want that spatter on your thing.
- Blu-tak the thing in place upside down on an old cardboard box or newspaper; spray the bottom and the sides with a couple of light coats. Then once it's properly cured (read the can - often a day later) flip it over and blu-tak it down the right way up, then repeat for the top side.
The longer you take over your spray job the better it turns out, on the whole.

d ii) If you brush on, then don't load up too much paint at once - wipe the brush on the side of the container to get rid of the excess before brushing. Follow the same procedure as the spraying, use thin coats, and so on...

If you use car paints you don't really need to protect it afterwards. They're intended to go on cars that people leave outside and drive through gravel and stuff - they can take a few people fiddling with them in a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United Kingdom
Bath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All this feedback in such a short amount of time! I appreciate everyone's advice and thank you all for helping me out with this small (and hopefully simple) project. thumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used spray paint in the past, but I just recently discovered that the RIT fabric dye works great for wood as well. Assuming you don't soak it for too long, it shouldn't affect the wood much at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
RIT fabric dye works great for wood as well

Unfortunately the ships in question have already been painted in a non-permeable paint; in order to dye the pieces the paint would have to be completely removed, which is pretty hard to do.

Even the 'natural' wood pieces that SpielMaterial sells are coated in a non-permeable varnish of some kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah good point, I've been buying stuff from a guy in Maine and it comes unfinished. In that I'd probably go with spray paint, just faster to paint a bunch of items. Just go with light coats and don't spray too close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
I don't know how many ships you're going to end up painting, but if its a lot you may want to try a chemical varnish/paint stripper. Detail sanding is the worst!

Be careful using it though as even the citrus oil based "safer" formulas can to some nasty things to your skin or eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.