Subject: Room for 6 epidemics on the board *FULL GAME SPOILERS* rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the board, like the board for normal Pandemic, has spaces for the infection rate counter to move 6 times. The game starts with 5 epidemic cards. The entire game, I kept waiting until the legacy deck gave us a 6th card to increase the difficulty; but nope! Did other people have a similar experience?

Is the 6th space on the board just there to make people afraid of something that doesn't ever come? It doesn't make a lot of sense to say that it's just for backwards compatibility, because if you own Legacy but not Pandemic, you won't have 6 epidemic cards to shuffle in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Davies
United States
Newberg
Or
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we thought the same thing too. I kept thinking, sometime during the year we will receive a sixth epidemic card to ramp up the difficulty, but then it never happened.

I've heard of folks "simulating" a sixth epidemic card to make the game more challenging. You do this during set up by creating six equal piles, and shuffling an epidemic card into the first five piles. You combine those five piles to create the deck and begin playing. When you reach the first epidemic card, you shuffle the card into the sixth pile and place it at the bottom of the deck. This more or less creates a sixth epidemic using only five cards. Not ideal, but I guess it works for someone who wants a much more challenging game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My best guess is that the reason for the 7 space infection rate track is that that part of the board was just copied directly from regular Pandemic rather than being redesigned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
My best guess is that the reason for the 7 space infection rate track is that that part of the board was just copied directly from regular Pandemic rather than being redesigned.

Sure, but given that the board was heavily redesigned; not sure why they'd leave that 1 part alone.

It is also likely that they didn't decide that the game would only have 5 epidemics until after the board design was finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or it was on purpose that they wanted us to think there would be a sixth epidemic card. A false lead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
We were scared of a sixth Epidemic card. But it also occurred to us that it would be possible for something else to advance the infection rate marker, or even for games to start with the infection rate marker further to the right.

Fortunately, there was plenty else going on to distract us from that potential anticlimax. (-8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.