Alien vs Predator: The Hunt Begins» Forums » Rules

Subject: Customization of Rules and Figures that I Use rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matt parsons
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
The standard rules are simple enough but I have streamlined them slightly. I did this for simplicity and to correct aspects I did not quite like and allow me greater customization. To assist in this I made a one-page handout for my own gaming purposes to remove any need to reference the rulebook. All Figure cards were scanned and edited to make minor modifications (see below) and new cards were created for custom figures. The custom and original figure cards were placed in sleeve protectors to keep a consistent look and card feel.

The mods I made in the game/rules are below.

1) Standard tiles offer no Marine combat bonuses. (too irritating and easy to forget to calculate) Aliens still receive their Infestation tile bonuses and Hide bonuses which the Alien player must keep up with.

2) Grenade Launchers were changed (this required a card edit and change) now grenade launchers do area effect damage similar to a flame thrower but not as effective Str 10 and still require 2 actions. It made no sense that the grenade launcher was a single target weapon.

3) Players now only receive three cards per player. This is easier to keep up with and keep the game flow moving.

4) The Predator with the Plasma Caster now automatically has a Self-Destruct Device. This should have been already implemented (this required a card edit for that figure) and makes that predator much more interesting in combat.

5) I added two Sergeant figures, one for the Colonial Marines and one for Weyland Yutari using Warhammer Sergeant parts armed identically with a Chainsword, Hand Grenades, and Pistols. These made neat custom figures to add to a human force. These required new card created from copies of edited Marine card scans. Hand Grenades work just like new grenade launchers but only have a range of 2 tiles. The chainsword is a more powerful and effective close combat weapon.

6) Finally I came up with a simple point system for figures to create balanced team builds for multiple forces. This system point system allows you to create more powerful or custom figures for gameplay.

FIGURE BASE POINT VALUES

ALIENS
Facehugger 5 Points
Alien Stalker 5 Points
Infant Warrior 10 Points

More Powerful Aliens cost +10 per Wound Level

MARINES
Standard Marine 20 Points each (1 Wound)
Heroes 30 Points (2 Wounds)
Sentry Gun 20 Points

PREDATORS
40 Points each
1 Vocal Mimic per Predator

10 per wound
+10 for Ranged Attack

Once you create your own point build system and create custom cards you really can unlock the door to using all sorts of custom figures.

Heroforge (which makes outstanding custom figures) can make a really nice Ripley figure for me to include. You could also make numerous other custom figures such as Bishop, Newt, or the crew of the Nostromo.

https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=947851

https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=947892

https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=947903
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radomir B.
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Intriguing, mate!

I'd also like to point out that Mad Robot Miniatures company makes some very nice minis of Colonial Marines. They're not officially licensed as Aliens product, but it makes no difference for gameplay purposes, I think. Some people use them to represent an USCM squad for the old ALIENS miniature game by Leading Edge. You can make your own statistics cards for them.

https://madrobotminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom En
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rogue Keeper wrote:
Intriguing, mate!

I'd also like to point out that Mad Robot Miniatures company makes some very nice minis of Colonial Marines. They're not officially licensed as Aliens product, but it makes no difference for gameplay purposes, I think. Some people use them to represent an USCM squad for the old ALIENS miniature game by Leading Edge. You can make your own statistics cards for them.

https://madrobotminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

It would be nice to see pictures of a side by side comparsion between the ones from mad robots and from prodos.

something like that:
https://dawnofthelead.com/2011/03/25/colonial-marine-miniatu...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radomir B.
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are pictures on the Mad Robot site and the Prodos minis are floating around as well...
The Prodos minis are certainly much more detailed, but also more difficult to assemble together and more fragile and more difficult to paint nicely. The Mad Robot minis are less detailed and look a little bit more comic-like, but their parts don't appear to be as thin and fragile as the ones' from Prodos. Mad Robot offers their customers a variety of customization options, you can customize your own squad before you order it. Heads what you like, armor what you like, arms and legs you like, weapons... Also I think they're cheaper than the ones from Prodos, but the prices of AvP add-on packs slightly vary a bit among retailers, as I've seen, (also you have to take shipping costs into account).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt parsons
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I have some Mad Robot miniature figures assembled to use alongside with my Prodos figures. They are close enough to work real well. I'll take a picture. Here are a couple of Weyland Commandoes next to a figure created using Mad Robot mini parts, A Hero Forge Mini, a figure made from Mad Robot and Warhammer Pieces and a pure Mad Robot mini.

You can see all the figures merge pretty well together on the table. With the Mad Robot Minis looking a tad bit more muscular.

You can really make some neat human figures, custom squads, as well as officers and heroic looking leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.