Subject: 14. Rob a Pixie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev Sheppard
United Kingdom
Bath
flag msg tools
mbmb
Played half a game at Essen and one of the action spots seemed so powerful we were convinced that we had got the rules wrong.
Can anyone comment on whether the action spot 14 "Rob a Pixie" is overpowered or was this just our perception?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
en7kss wrote:
Played half a game at Essen and one of the action spots seemed so powerful we were convinced that we had got the rules wrong.
Can anyone comment on whether the action spot 14 "Rob a Pixie" is overpowered or was this just our perception?

From reading the rules (I haven't played yet) you can only rob one pixie that is in the city. You rob the amount of food printed on the spot the pixie stands on if that player still has the food left you ask for (pay attention what they take).

I guess it's likely that someone higher up in turn order ruins your plans to use food for (additional) offerings that you got in the steal phase. I'm not sure how often it'll happen, but my I guess is it depends on your group: If they like to mess with each other, it'll happen quite frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Seuntjens
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
It seems quite powerful when you do this the first time, but it isn't really, because of several reasons:
- The times when someone has his pixie on this spot are rare, which means that you need 2 action discs to do this action. If there is no pixie on the top row, there are better actions to use your two discs for.
- A pixie that is on the top row, will get a lot of resources + will probably end up in the castle to grab points. Stealing from this pixie will harm a player who is already doing pretty well.
- This action is copyable. If your risk stealing from a pixie, you will probably get it back once your pixie is on a top row.
- It prevents pixies from camping on the top rows too long, to get an enormous amount of food resources, just like the penalty points in the mine are there to compensate for camping in the mine too long to collect silver and gold.

There is an unusual amount of take-that in this worker placement. Some people don't like that at all, because in most workerplacements you work and build on your own with almost no interaction.

As the designer I believe the interaction (or trying to prevent the interaction) makes PQ different from the thousands of 'dry' worker placement games. It's still resource management, but also a constant struggle. And the one who fights the others the least, often wins. Several times I've seen the more quiet player win the game while their partners are constantly fighting each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Sheppard
United Kingdom
Bath
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the response! I know you are in the final hours of the kickstarter and I really liked the look and theme of the game when I played it.
I think we missed the rule that you have to have a pixie in the village in order to be stolen from. One player had a pixie in that spot and so was targeted by the first player to place an action disc. The second player used "copy an action" and targeted the first player and then as I recall the third player used a tile to target the second player. It seemed as though this would always happen because of the number of resources you get from doing it. Perhaps we were being naive and not seeing better options, or perhaps we were just being quite "take-that"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.