Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Let's keep Warhammer Quest ACG Alive! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M. Stik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Dear Geeks,

I've just acquired the fantastic game of Warhammer Quest-ACG. I've been a roleplayer for some years when I was younger and I absolutely love this game. You can imagine my disappointment when I found out FF has stopped the development on WHQ-acg. Out of love for this game, I will not accept this early death and I have decided to reanimate the Dungeon Master in me and begin work on some campaigns for this incredible game.

I need some playtesters for the quests I will be releasing and I hope you guys will provide me with comments and improvements so we can keep WHQ-ACG alive! Are any of you interested in some quests to playtest?

Love from Amsterdam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Philibin
United States
Buffalo and Syracuse (long story)
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I know that FF is no longer going to be involved... but does that also mean that Games Workshop abandoned this title?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philibin wrote:

I know that FF is no longer going to be involved... but does that also mean that Games Workshop abandoned this title?

GW doesn't own the title, they own the license to the IP. So yes, neither FF or GW can do any more work on this game as it stands. The only possibility is a re-theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MFEMANUEL wrote:
I need some playtesters for the quests I will be releasing and I hope you guys will provide me with comments and improvements so we can keep WHQ-ACG alive! Are any of you interested in some quests to playtest?

Absolutely. I see you've already found the unofficial content thread. Keep us informed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Philibin
United States
Buffalo and Syracuse (long story)
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:

GW doesn't own the title, they own the license to the IP. So yes, neither FF or GW can do any more work on this game as it stands. The only possibility is a re-theme.

So, who owns the IP?

Even if it isn't FF or GW, it doesn't necessarily mean that the title is dead does it?

Couldn't some other company become licensed to pick up where FF left off?

Didn't something similar to this just happen with Dungeon Fighter with FFG and IELLO?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philibin wrote:
cafin8d wrote:

So, who owns the IP?

Even if it isn't FF or GW, it doesn't necessarily mean that the title is dead does it?

Didn't something similar to this just happen with Dungeon Fighter with FFG and IELLO?

GW owns the IP, FF owns the mechanics, so sorry but no, it's really death.
Maybe FF will retheme the game with another IP but we don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Stik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Great! I will.

I've worked on, photoshoped and playtested the first selfmade quest today. I will playtest it once more myself and then post it here for you guys to try it out! It involves a rescue theme where the party must try to keep one member alive while this hero is going slowly insane..

Really exited to keep this game "living".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
philibin wrote:
cafin8d wrote:

So, who owns the IP?

GW owns the IP, FF owns the mechanics, so sorry but no, it's really death.
Maybe FF will retheme the game with another IP but we don't know.

Legally speaking, nobody owns the mechanics. The only things FFG owns are the arts and the rulebook. But it would be bad business for GW to "steal" the mechanics and create a new warhammer quest acg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am 99% certain that that you cannot own the mechanics. I am pretty sure that GW could produce more content for this game or outsource the license but I doubt they'll bother since they already have a Warhammer Quest series to market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gsgfdf wrote:
I am 99% certain that that you cannot own the mechanics. I am pretty sure that GW could produce more content for this game or outsource the license but I doubt they'll bother since they already have a Warhammer Quest series to market.

Actually, it would be a very good advertisement for the licence: on the one hand, they have a 40$ card game easily expandable with Prints on Demand, and on the other hand, a 100+$ cash machine miniatures dungeon crawler game. The success of one can rub off on the other, and vice versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aubrey Mills
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gsgfdf wrote:

You can own board game mechanics, particularly if you acquire a Utility Patent on them. See, for example, Elizabeth Magie's 1904 patent for The Landlord's Game, generally accepted as the inspiration for Monopoly.

Or, for something more recent, here's Patent 8,870,184 from 2014, for a "Strategy board game"

Who knows what's in the contract, but my guess is that GW will be doing nothing with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All this discussion on owning mechanics is irrelevant. There is more to a game than mechanics and IP. There's commissioned art, flavor text, the rule book, all of these things are developed and owned by FFG. Even if GW decided to legally replicate the mechanics of the game ... it would have to be a different game because they would be unable to sell the Core Set that FFG owns and there's no way they would develop new content for a game that can't expand the base audience.

Its way simpler and legally safer to just develop a brand new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mr kipling wrote:
gsgfdf wrote:

You can own board game mechanics, particularly if you acquire a Utility Patent on them. See, for example, Elizabeth Magie's 1904 patent for The Landlord's Game, generally accepted as the inspiration for Monopoly.

Or, for something more recent, here's Patent 8,870,184 from 2014, for a "Strategy board game"

Who knows what's in the contract, but my guess is that GW will be doing nothing with this game.

When you break down a mechanic to its core, it's only about drawing cards, throwing dice, putting tokens on cards, etc. And that's what the law does, cf the last case in point:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/273935/Texas_court_affirm...

A patent would work only if there was only unique components inside, like it was "invented", or "created" from the mind of the author. Basic game mechanics don't fit that description.

It would be like copyrighting a choregraphy, and putting inside someone doing a peace sign, and then saying "hey, my choregraphy is legally protected, you can't reproduce a peace sign anymore". That's how the law works at the moment.

However, if you take a board game with a unique mechanic as its core, you can copyright it and make it impossible for anyone else to reproduce de mechanics without this feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Stik
Netherlands
flag msg tools

Here you go! It's my first. Hope the Quality is ok, I couldn't find where to upload the pdf files. I'd love to hear your reactions and share material for this amazing game with you. If FF can't give us anymore updates, let's make awesome stuff ourselves!

Cheers from Amsterdam

edit: use 12 open gear cards, i'll include this in the update after additionol playtesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
raul martin
Spain
arrecife
canarias
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot...I will try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Sabatino
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
MFEMANUEL wrote:

Here you go! It's my first. Hope the Quality is ok, I couldn't find where to upload the pdf files. I'd love to hear your reactions and share material for this amazing game with you. If FF can't give us anymore updates, let's make awesome stuff ourselves!

Cheers from Amsterdam

please can you send me in pdf? my e-mail is msabatino75@yahoo.it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest that anyone who likes this game and the fan made content already being posted in this link, to hurry up and copy, print, and save everything he's done before the frikkin gestapo over at GW threatens everyone with Cease & Desist orders and lawsuits. Of course, it doesn't matter that no one will be trying to sell the contributions or make any sort of money off them. Because that's the way GW rolls.....sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Sabatino
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Omg, realy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We have until february for that, we've got time..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Stik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
version 2.0 coming up.

We come in peace. We mean no harm, only extended play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Mrosek
Germany
Hessdorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we should really keep this alive as long as we are able to.
pdf here as well please
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Baughman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will play test anything we can come up with. I would love to keep this game alive. I feel it's very simple to come up to with quests given the formula they already offer. Maybe after a few variations of what we already have we can have some really different ones like add giant wolves but refer to this page and giant wolves actions are .......... (fill in the blank)

So in that way we can keep it going in the simplest way that requires minimal effort, then expand on the game since it's never getting expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Emery
msg tools
I love this game and I'll play test it for anyone. Can someone help explain how to upload PDF on here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Sabatino
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
MFEMANUEL wrote:
version 2.0 coming up.

We come in peace. We mean no harm, only extended play!

Excuse me, but versione 2.0 when upload? And the other Quest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar T
msg tools
I've been knocking out some new monsters etc. and will take a crack at writing a few scenarios in the future. Is there a place you'd like us to post created materials? Files/Photos or where?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.