Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » General

Subject: Wolfbomination too hard? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt V
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hi, I bought the base game, hero pack 1 and wulfsburg all together and decided to just throw everything in at once. I've noticed that the game seems to be taking much longer than the estimated play time and that in most cases, the wolfbomonation spawning when we dont have the kill combo on hand seems to usually result in a loss. In fact the wolfbomination seems so strong that I had to check and recheck to make sure we were playing properly.

I was hoping to get some tips on how to speed up gameplay and how to tackle the wolfbomination. I almost wonder if we are missing some fundamental rule or are just approaching the strategy incorrectly. We have attempted the Black Book mission about 3 times now, each time toom 2 1/2 hrs and ended in loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Search. Search. Search again.

Unlike the normal Abomination, Wolfbominations won't spawn until yellow, so search like mad and try not to level up until you have good kit.

Generally I think this game runs counter to a lot of instincts / experiences from other games where you want to level up really fast. Hold off, open as many buildings as you can on blue, and when someone does goes yellow, try to all do it close together
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion would be to remove the wolf abomb from your spawn deck, until you guys get better / learn more about the game. There is definitely a learning curve. Check out many of the strategy posts for full details on how to do that. Basically though, be cautious, very cautious, search as much as you can, but never with your last action. Open buildings while you are still at low levels to avoid massive spawns. Never leave a survivor alone, or they won't survive... Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:

Hold off, open as many buildings as you can on blue, and when someone does goes yellow, try to all do it close together

The Gospel of MightyJim. Amen, brothers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Dads Podcast
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
Mightyjim wrote:

Hold off, open as many buildings as you can on blue, and when someone does goes yellow, try to all do it close together

The Gospel of MightyJim. Amen, brothers!

Get Xuxa out onto the field and its over. EZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmb
If you don't have any Damage 3 attacks then the Wolfbomination is pretty unstoppable so either take one of the extra characters who can get +1 damage or search as much as you can while at blue level when it won't turn up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This topic kinda makes me laugh. I've heard tons about how such and such character is op, so people remove them. And now I hear about how the wolf-abom is too hard.
Lol, bring the strong characters so you can deal with the strong baddies.
:-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooperton wrote:
This topic kinda makes me laugh. I've heard tons about how such and such charaxter is op, so people remove them. And now I hear about how the wolf-abom is too hard.
Lol, bring the strong characters so you can deal with the strong baddies.
:-)

Yeah, I believe the "OP" survivors are with us for a reason...and it's not the base game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Sleboda
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
A suggestion if you prefer to not be challenged by early abomination arrival - Steal a page from Silver Tower.

Divide your zombie deck in half. Put your "hard mode" cards all in one half. Shuffle both halves separately. Put the easy mode stack on top of the hard mode stack.

You won't encounter tough stuff early but it's still mostly random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Adelaide
msg tools
Unless specifically choosing characters that can kill abominations early, the wolfbomination is too hard for yellow and will result in a loss.

We've decided to amend the spawn cards to spawn wolves for yellow. By the time you're in orange there's a small chance of having the right gear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jarrahmuller wrote:
Unless specifically choosing characters that can kill abominations early, the wolfbomination is too hard for yellow and will result in a loss.

We've decided to amend the spawn cards to spawn wolves for yellow. By the time you're in orange there's a small chance of having the right gear.

If he comes out early he has to be managed with noise. You have to create separation (hopefully without getting killed first) and then manipulate him back and forth with noise and no LoS to survivors, while searching like madmen. It's tricky but can be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strand
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I just draw again if I get a wolfbomination before anyone is in the orange. You still need to be searching like crazy, but it isn't so much a matter of getting lucky with a search early on.

I often play solitaire with just four players, and this rule is almost de riguer, or you just set up and play several games before you are slaughtered while people are still in the blue.

I have been lucky a few times and was able to kill an early wolfbomination, but that's what it is, luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmb
Yeah it is pretty disappointing when you open a door and there is a wolf abomination on the otherside and it is just like well game over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Vladvonbounce wrote:
Yeah it is pretty disappointing when you open a door and there is a wolf abomination on the otherside and it is just like well game over.

Same for 3 wolves. That's why you never open a door at the end of the players' phase

For the issue with he wolfabomination, have you tried the Abominations health points variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.