Subject: Using Shield with a weight-3 weapon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christophe Ebro
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that a weapon with a weight of 3 or more is a weapon to be used with 2 hands, so the Hero cannot have a second weapon.
But what about shields? Are they consider weapons, and not items, as they have similar characteristics (although only Defense for shields), so a Hero could not at the same time carry a weapon with his 2 hands, and a shield?

It would make sense that a Hero with a 2-hands axe would not be able to also carry a shield (although it could be attached to his forearm :)
But in that case, the equipment suggested for Conan in the 1st scenario would be odd, as Conan has both a 2-hands axe and a shield?

Confused :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shields are no weapons.

The limitation about weapons with 3 or more encumbrance is only for the ambidextrous skill
(you can't use 2 melee weapons at the same time if you attack with a 3 encumbrance melee weapon).

and circular strike skill
(you need a 3 or more encumbrance melee weapon to do this kind of attack).

This game is not a RPG or a realistic game, so even if the rules speak about "2 handed weapons", I think it's not appropriate.

Rules should only talk about "encumbrance" to avoid confusion. So yes, you can carry a weapon with 3 encumbrance and a shield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clanggedin Silverbeard
United States
SALEM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conan is stronger than the average barbarian. He can regularly wield 2 handed weapons in one hand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in general you "wield" all your inventory at the same time. so if you have two shields for example, you choose the one to use for your defense. if you carry 3 weapons, you choose the one to attack with, etc. the only exception is (as mentioned above) the ambidex skill, that allows to attack with two weapons that have 3 or less as encumbrance... I hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Ebro
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yuffie kasiragi
msg tools
Clanggedin wrote:
Conan is stronger than the average barbarian. He can regularly wield 2 handed weapons in one hand

Sounds like a D3 Crusader cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game yet but if it does not count equipped hands and you can use a two handed weapon and a shield (which I do find non thematic), can u use a bow and a shield too at the same time ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
I don't have the game yet but if it does not count equipped hands and you can use a two handed weapon and a shield (which I do find non thematic), can u use a bow and a shield too at the same time ?

Yes, but it's not at the same time....With the bow, you attack on your turn. With the shield, you defend on the OL turn. You're just limited by the encumbrance of the items you can carry.

There's no "equipped hand" in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallantides wrote:
LarkinVB wrote:

Yes, but it's not at the same time....With the bow, you attack on your turn. With the shield, you defend on the OL turn. You're just limited by the encumbrance of the items you can carry.

There's no "equipped hand" in this game.

I get it but I don't like it. So basically you are shooting, than putting the bow on your back and strap your shield on your arm and defend in the same turn. Even zombicide black plague can manage hands, I guess I have to brew my own house rules. Looking forward to play the game nevertheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quoting myself:
Loig wrote:
in general you "wield" all your inventory at the same time. so if you have two shields for example, you choose the one to use for your defense. if you carry 3 weapons, you choose the one to attack with, etc. the only exception is (as mentioned above) the ambidex skill, that allows to attack with two weapons that have 3 or less as encumbrance... I hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loig wrote:
quoting myself:
Loig wrote:

Why did you quote yourself ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
I get it but I don't like it. So basically you are shooting, than putting the bow on your back and strap your shield on your arm and defend in the same turn. Even zombicide black plague can manage hands, I guess I have to brew my own house rules. Looking forward to play the game nevertheless.

It's not the purpose of this game. It's not a RPG, it's not Zombicide neither. All the flavour is in the gem management.

You can also do melee and ranged attacks in the same turn if you've got enough gems... and use a shield after that when attacked by OL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Ludoquist
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:

I don't find it non-thematic when considering the source material. Conan could wield one-handed swords that most mortals would consider two-handed, but probably not one in each hand.

As for bow, perfectly possible to use one with a (light) shield attached to right hand. Would affect accuracy quite a a bit in the real world, but only because my thews aren't mighty enough. Nor do I have the eyes of an eagle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.