Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I simply cannot get past first pages of this manual. Looks to me like the author cared more to make the game like reality, than to make the game more approachable. But I've bought it, so joke's on me :) Still, I'd appreciate if someone would record a video.

Rodney! Where are you!?
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Fischer
Netherlands
Den Haag
---
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't even received my copy yet from Essen, but I will chip in GG as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
Would this be the first of Phil's games you have tried to learn from the rules by chance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this might do more harm then good but you could consider watching tutorials on Neanderthal and Greenland which are similar systems?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
e.e.goings wrote:
Would this be the first of Phil's games you have tried to learn from the rules by chance?

I was thinking the same thing.

I found Phil's small box games to be the best of his (except Pax Porfiriana, but I haven't looked at the version of that book). Though they can still be tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this to be perhaps the most approachable of Phil's games. I would happily record a video, but my prototype materials have dispersed back into their component parts, mostly, I think. When I get my copy, I'd consider doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im in for whatever I have left of my donation gg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea! Although I would be hard pressed to make a how to rules video for $50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
e.e.goings wrote:

Yes. I didn't know what I was going for. But I've heard alot of good things about the game and the components certainly look good. So that would be my first Phil's game. I just need some help with groking the rules.

CoffeeRunner wrote:
Great idea! Although I would be hard pressed to make a how to rules video for $50.

BGG gold currency (GG), not real-world dollars :)

soulyogurt wrote:
I found this to be perhaps the most approachable of Phil's games. I would happily record a video, but my prototype materials have dispersed back into their component parts, mostly, I think. When I get my copy, I'd consider doing it.

That would be much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I intend to record a video play through of the 2-player walk through in the rule book as soon as I receive my copy.

In the meantime, try setting up your game and walking through it. It should be very helpfull in learning the basics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mbmbmb
There's also THIS verbose teaching thread that walks you through a solo game. That should at least get you started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Drews
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is my third game from Eklund and i have to admit it is the hardest to learn. So many, and i mean, SO MANY little Rules and Exceptions to learn... i'am adoring the theme but i am really struggling to grasp the thing as a whole. The game lies since Essen prepared for play on my game table - i'am used to the really complicated COIN Games from GMT - but this little Monster is from another world.

So, in short form ... if someone could post a video, a runthrough, a tutorial, whatever i would be soooo thankful. Because otherwise i fear that Bios Genesis wont get the table time in my gaming group that it deserves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've considered trying to record a how to when I get my physical copy. I've never done such a thing, and I don't have good equipment for it, but I may be able to do a Rahdo-style how-to with my phone. I actually think this game is pretty accessible--start with the example playthrough in the book, making sure you understand the rules for each step. It helps to understand the science behind the game a little bit; the rules make fairly intuitive sense in context. And the game is well divided into 5 discrete phases per round, each phase with a reasonably constrained set of rules that governs it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a youtube channel about boardgames and i'm going to do this video about bois:genesis but in french.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
i'll be doing one - no GGs required

youtube.com/rickkcroyal
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ricky2002 wrote:

youtube.com/rickkcroyal

Sorted... now I can relax. Thanks for your videos they have helped me no end to explain games at my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ricky2002 wrote:

youtube.com/rickkcroyal

Hogwash! Take my small donation as a late gift for your BIOS: Megafauna series!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schuster
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, maybe this from Essen?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i-pWoYaUx3o
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Yes. I didn't know what I was going for. But I've heard alot of good things about the game and the components certainly look good. So that would be my first Phil's game. I just need some help with groking the rules.

You knew exactly what are you going for I'v posted a lot of informations on polish game forums.

Did you looked at my translation (not completed fully) of the rules?
When you grasp mechanics you will see - this is really simple game with awesome, thematic and scientific theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew what this game would be about and I've heard that Eklund's games are "special". I just didn't expect THIS.

No, I didn't look at your files, in general, I'm not interested in translations. English is fine, but it's not the english that is a problem here :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
it's mechanically quite simple indeed, but between planning a strategy and remembereing what everything means it's quite hard to start.
I tried a bit yesterday and while i saw what I could do I had no basis for a strategy. so everything went pear shaped in turn 3 and I found out I had been playing some stuff wrong anyway.
tommorow I'll take it up again.
what is needed is a simple list how to get things.
you need enzymes? here's how you cn get them etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
I simply cannot get past first pages of this manual.
Teehee, that matches my initial struggle

However, I decided to ignore the first few pages for the moment and plowed on, and understanding slowly blossomed. when I got to the playthrough section (J) (almost) everything fell into place and it didn't look all that complicated, anymore.
The whole process took me easily 5-6 hours, though.

Imho, the most difficult thing about the game is to come to terms with, well, all the scientific terms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Buffing
Netherlands
Almere
Flevoland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skip the first couple of pages, start with the setup.

The first pages try to give you an idea of the theme of the game, but if you are not a Biology Master, it will make you scratch your head. Read the game rules, not the introduction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt_W wrote:
I've considered trying to record a how to when I get my physical copy. I've never done such a thing, and I don't have good equipment for it, but I may be able to do a Rahdo-style how-to with my phone. I actually think this game is pretty accessible--start with the example playthrough in the book, making sure you understand the rules for each step. It helps to understand the science behind the game a little bit; the rules make fairly intuitive sense in context. And the game is well divided into 5 discrete phases per round, each phase with a reasonably constrained set of rules that governs it.

What you did with your playthrough is amazing. When my son is asleep tonight and the wife is going out I am going to play through your scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Where is this playthrough ? For the first time english is an issue for me... For exemple player's "Tableau pool" I can't understand what it is... So i would like to see this playthrough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.