Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing Napoleon's Triumph for some time now. Thanks to these forums, I have a pretty good understanding of the rules. It's been a while since I had to ask a question. But, I feel I need a clarification or rather a confirmation to what I believe is my correct interpretation.
It's about Artillery. (My favorite units in the game.)
Defender retreats before combat.
Attacker makes his attack declaration.
The attacker reveals that the attack is by an artillery unit that COULD HAVE led the attack if we made it to step 5 of the attack procedure.
Okay, "the artillery unit DOES NOT HAVE to move." (This is the Exception to having to move into the vacated local.) My question is:
CAN the artillery unit move into the local if the attacker wants it to?
The rule says "does not HAVE to move." Which I interpret as "but he could if he wanted to."
Imagine if the unit was all alone. The defender retreats and you want that local. All you have is that brave lone artillery unit. He wants to roll on in.
I say sure. It's a choice. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. More to the point, you don't reveal said artillery, you're just moving a single unit that can move into the locale, doesn't matter what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hansen
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Momoshiro wrote:

Defender retreats before combat.

If the defender retreats before combat, the attacker simply makes a move order and does not need to reveal any pieces (unless the attack threat was by road, in which case he must prove that the pieces making the threat are cavalry).

I'm glossing a couple exceptions and nuances here, but I hope this answers your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Martial Solal - Bluesine || Balade du 10 Mars || Just Friends || In & Out
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the bit that I think is confusing you:

Momoshiro wrote:
The attacker reveals that the attack is by an artillery unit that COULD HAVE led the attack if we made it to step 5 of the attack procedure.
Okay, "the artillery unit DOES NOT HAVE to move." (This is the Exception to having to move into the vacated local.)

When the defender retreats before combat, you're not obligated to reveal that the attacking unit was artillery. The only time you must reveal the attacking unit in this case is if the attack threat was cavalry moving by road. As the attacker, you may reveal artillery that was in attack position, but the reason you would do so would be to avoid the obligation to advance.

Your lone artillery can certainly advance after the defender's retreat before combat. But as your attacking unit was in the approach, it could have been any type of unit and if you want to advance you shouldn't enlighten him.

[edit] I had to answer a phone call in the midst of typing that reply - should have checked to see if it had been answered in the interim before posting. (Great answers, guys.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course! You don't have to reveal what your moving! Call it a case of overthinking it too much.
Thanks (yet again) to everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.