$30.00
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for a game that will appeal both to me and my 9-year old.

I'm thinking Ticket to Ride might just work. She likes digging through the bag while playing Thebes, but I can tell she's not really getting the strategy part down.

But I want something more than just Sorry! And Animal Stacking. I'll bet I probably have something that works already in my collection, but I'm just not sure what.

So something that is easy to learn but I can get engaged in also.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What's she into outside of games? You might be surprised how far an engaging theme will take a child. When I was about that age, I got mad deep into Star Trek: Customizable Card Game (first edition) purely driven by the theme. I was terrible at it and it would take me years to catch up to the strategy, but that didn't matter much to my enjoyment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esko
United States
White Haven
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cacao

Good for teaching strategy.. and when to hold what you got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stivers
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor
Brave Rats
Mysterium/Dixit
Lords of Water Deep Base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 9 year old daughter likes Takenoko and Tokaido a lot, she loves the japanese theme (she's into anime and J-pop), the components are colorful and cute, and the complexity is just on par with TTR in the gateway game territory if your girl is totally new to the hobby.

She also likes to play Mysterium, Dixit, and to our surprise (given their length) Fortune and Glory, Last Night on Earth and other games where you fight lots of supernatural stuff with a bunch of dice, but I'm aware those themes are not as universally liked by other girls her age, we're a rather quirky family.

But keep in mind that you don't have to limit your choice to stereotypical "girly" games just for her sake. If she likes playing with you, you can start taking her to family-friendly gaming gatherings where she can try more stuff and see what other themes and mechanics she likes, and she may surprise you. Games for girls don't have to be all pink and full of princesses, some people miss a lot of gaming experiences and reinforce a bunch of stupid gender stereotypes just because a game appears to be too manly/girly for their little ones, or even their adult gaming friends (my wife loves games with space marines in them, also vikings and rennaisance-era trading, my sister-in-law just bought Scythe, and my brother's favorite game is Rokoko, an excellent area control game where you make dresses and organize a gala event for the french nobility, so there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a brief glance through your collection (if currently updated), and tried to pick out some games that I play with my child.

I saw that you have castle panic rated low and listed as for trade. I agree that playing this game with your gaming group isn't the best, but playing with a child is a blast, and it's a favorite for playing with my daughter, not my friends

Mice and mystics your collection says you own. This one my 7 year old daughter really enjoys. I have to guide her a bit by reminding her about her characters abilities, but I think a 9 year old will probably get it a little better.

Dixit is good if you have someone else to join in.

Outside of your collection I'd highly recommend ghost fightin' treasure hunters it's clearly a kids game, and when it starts you think of it as such, but then halfway through the game you realize just how hard the game actually is to beat even though it's easy to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Mechs vs. Minions would fit the bill pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Estabrooks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with higher luck games with some meaningful decisions and slowly shift to more strategy.

Survive: Escape from Atlantis
Camel Up
Rush & Bash
Castle Panic
Guillotine
Mice and Mystics

As FatherGeek put it (I think) real but obvious decisions are the place to start on strategy! Of course you move the shark that can eat dad's guys, bet on the camel in the lead, use the card that shifts you out of the obstructed lane, kill the closest orc, etc... But you COULD make the wrong decision and you really are making it. At it's core, this is why Sorry! is a level up from Snakes and Ladders, and it's what you want to foster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
If she has no experience, I'd recommend starting with some of these:

PitchCar
Sushi Go!
No Thanks!
Las Vegas
6 nimmt!
Can't Stop
Incan Gold
Qwixx
BANG! The Dice Game

If she's up for a little increase in complexity, you could try these:

Crokinole
Dixit
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
For Sale
Coup
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Camel Up
Coloretto
Flick 'em Up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.