Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Pavey
United Kingdom
Thame
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Clarification on Pack Ice please. Do you roll for exposure when the card is drawn? (i.e. the 10 that is written on the card) or is there no exposure roll that round and the game ends after one more full round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars H
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering about the same. In my opinion the Pack Ice card is a - even though special - weather card, so it has two effects:
1. It has an exposure effect like a die roll of 10. (Otherwise the "10" on the card would make no sense.)
2. It determines that the next round is the last round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob van Zyl
South Africa
cape town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Laars wrote:
I was wondering about the same. In my opinion the Pack Ice card is a - even though special - weather card, so it has two effects:
1. It has an exposure effect like a die roll of 10. (Otherwise the "10" on the card would make no sense.)
2. It determines that the next round is the last round.

This is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Pavey
United Kingdom
Thame
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. Is there a final exposure roll after the final round or is the scoring commenced using the current game state?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars H
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no exposure roll after the final round.
1. If you draw the Pack Ice card there is an immediate exposure effect of 10 (as if a normal weather card had been drawn).
2. The next round will be the last. At the end of this last round no more weather card is drawn (Quote of the rules, page 6: "END OF ROUND When every player has passed, it is the end of the round. If the Pack Ice card was revealed last round, the game is over. Otherwise, resolve the following steps in order: 1. A new Weather Card is drawn...")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adhil Patel
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly.

The weather cards have an exposure result on them. You don't roll after revealing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is there a 10 on the pack ice card? What's the difference between a 10 and a 6? They both mean losing a single piece, don't they?

Similarly, I presume there's no difference between a 6, 7, and 8 on the d8's, right?

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomChick wrote:
Why is there a 10 on the pack ice card? What's the difference between a 10 and a 6? Similarly, I presume there's no difference between a 6, 7, and 8 on the d8's, right?
You're right, 6,7,8 and 10 all have the same exposure effect. I guess that 10 is chosen instead of 6 to distinguish the pack ice card from the regular "exposure 6" cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also no difference between a 1, 2, and 3. I can understand that they're on the dice because, well, dice. But what's the point of putting them on the cards?

For what's mostly an elegant game, there are some weird hitches in here.

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In an earlier version the weather cards for 1, 2 and 3 all had "1 2 3" printed on them.

But I really like this version since it's using the same numbers as you would have expected (d6, d8) and all over the game - no special treatment, makes it easier.

Since the dice are customized it could have been 0 (for 1-3), 1,2,3 for (4,5,6+) all over the game. The d6/d8 would look like: 0,0,0,1,2,3 and 0,0,0,1,2,3,3,3. But that would feel strange!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adhil Patel
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that the dice results and the numbers on the cards are actually a scale of exposure. On a fine day, we get a 1. On a day with heavy snow we get a 6. On a day when the pack ice comes, we get a 10.

It's really there to indicate severity, and adds to the theme in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.