Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad McCoy
United States
Vilonia
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a game that has the English Revolution as its theme. Something with Charles I, Oliver Cromwell, the forces of Parliament, but not a wargame as it is commonly defined here, something more along the lines of a war-themed game. It should definitely be on the light side of things, something a non-gamer could pick up pretty quickly.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The old Ariel title English Civil War was recommended to me several years ago. Copies of this 1970s game can be found on eBay.

Cruel Necessity is a solitaire game on the conflict. The complexity level is not high.

Good Luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing Cruel Necessity recently, so it leapt to my mind as well, but its 20 pages of rules (and serious difficulty to even win the game or even finish with a positive score) makes me think that it's really not "something a non-gamer could pick up pretty quickly"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad McCoy
United States
Vilonia
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Russ. I had already considered Cruel Necessity and thought it was too heavy for my needs. I will check out the other title, Pete. I haven't heard of this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad McCoy
United States
Vilonia
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any other titles?
I'm looking for something I can use with my students in history class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wallenstein might be worth looking at. It takes place on the Continent during the Thirty Years War, which was about a generation before the ECW.

One game that's on the horizon is This War Without an Enemy, which is a block game similar to Hammer of the Scots.

For students, I think Cruel Necessity might be a good choice. Have the students make the decisions while you work the game system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If PnP is not a problem:

Take a look at the website of the The Perfect Captain; they have some games set in this period.

This was a free download at ConsimWorld (do not know whether it still is): Fairfax's Revenge: the battle of Langport 1645

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unhappy King Charles!

Read my review - Critical Issues in King Charlie’s War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.