Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Watson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on getting a crokinole board. As I'm in Europe my options are limited (shipping kills the usual suspects: Muzzies, Willard, Hillinski etc.), so I'm basically down to two options.

I know that the boards from http://www.crokinole.de/ are excellent, as I've managed to find a few glowing reviews.

My other option is to get a Woodestic board (http://crokinole.guru/). They look good and are significantly cheaper than the ones from crokinole.de, but I can't find much in the way of reviews of these boards though, so I'm reluctant to blind purchase one.

Does anyone have any experience with either board (but especially Woodestic) who can help guide me?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Whiteside
United Kingdom
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a Woodestic board. You may have seen that mine is the only review on here I think.

Other than the Woodestic board I have only used a Ferti board, but in my view the Woodestic is superior. I would certainly thoroughly reoommend the boards based on the one I have.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1470937/european-board-revi...

The only thing that has changed since my review is that I think the prices (and exchange rates) have gone up a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Watson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comment. I did indeed see your review (it's certainly the only one that I've found). I'm still a little nervous about buying something so expensive with just one (albeit very informative) review though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Whiteside
United Kingdom
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can understand that.

I know the shipping costs will be a factor, but don't forget that Woodestic also offer a 30 day trial so you can get your money back if you're not happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Watson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taken the plunge and ordered from Woodestic last night. If anyone's interested I'll give some impressions once I receive it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrickx
Belgium
Reet
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davisdynamos wrote:
If anyone's interested I'll give some impressions once I receive it.

yes please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Whiteside
United Kingdom
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
davisdynamos wrote:
I've taken the plunge and ordered from Woodestic last night. If anyone's interested I'll give some impressions once I receive it.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Watson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so it arrived yesterday (I ordered a mini version, as I was worried about space, it's also a bit cheaper, so win/win!) and I've had a chance to give it a very brief test drive. First impressions are:

d10-1 It's much lighter than I was expecting. This is intended as a travel board and I can see it working this way quite easily. Don't get me wrong, it's still quite large, but certainly a very manageable weight for carting around.

d10-2 It's very slim. This is good for transporting, but bad because when a disc is in the ditch it still overlaps the playing surface vertically and can cause a shot disc to rebound off it and back onto the playing surface. This could potentially be a problem if it hits other discs after rebounding.

d10-3 The surface is very smooth, I can see my reflection in it! The discs glide straight out of the box. I'm a rank amateur, so that this with a pinch of salt, but it feels at least reasonably fast and I've not done anything to it yet.

d10-4 While the surface is smooth I haven't played properly yet, so unconfirmed whether it will last or there are some imperfections I just haven't seen yet.

d10-5 The discs seem fine, but one does have a slight grit-sized imperfection that I worry will damage the surface. A light sanding should take care of that, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Watson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, almost forgot. I should probably say that the service so far has been good. No issues, so difficult to comment on the customer service from that side of things, but it arrived very quickly. I ordered it on 1st November around 10pm and it arrived the afternoon of the 6th November. Pretty good going for a package coming to the UK from Hungary. I got an email just before it arrived letting me know that its arrival was imminent too – a nice touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Whiteside
United Kingdom
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Glad first impressions are OK. What colours did you choose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Watson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with a cherry board. Looks good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.