Subject: Paying a Coin to Visit an Island Help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Norton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this is on page 9 of the rulebook. When you visit an island, you must pay its coin cost (if any) to the treasure map on the renown board. I may have just missed this in the rules elsewhere, but what good is this? Is this just to keep coins out of the general supply, or is there an in-game action (perhaps a building or event) that allows you take from this treasure map? I'm sure I missed it. Please hold my helpless hand and let me know where the use of this can be found.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 4th option on your turn is to treasure hunt. This means taking all the coins on the map or, if there are no coins on the map, you get 1 coin from the bank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the very next page, under the image of the influence track, is Action: Hunt for Treasure.

So your "Main Action" options on your turn are 1 of the below options:
Visit - pay "toll" of whatever the cost is.
OR
Attack - use pirates, sea serpents and crew to take over a town.
OR
Diplomacy - use your influence to convince the town to accept you.
OR
Hunt for Treasure - instead of the above, take the money on the map.

Hunt for Treasure is one of the few ways to get money back to allow you to visit towns or purchase buildings if you are not able to get money through other actions, such as Attack or Diplomacy.

And of course, in addition to the above, you have the Free Actions of Buying a Building and/or completing an Event if desired.

Remember, coins at the end of the game are worth 1 point each. Rarely is Hunt for Treasure a better option than what is available at a town, but if it gives you what is needed to get that last building, it might give you the edge.

Hope that helps.
~Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Norton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good lord. This is exactly what I was afraid of. How was I missing that? IT'S RIGHT THERE. Thanks for point that out, guys. Big help, though I should have been able to see that myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.