Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of all the characters in the app, the Branchwych is the most intriguing to me yet I don't think this character has been fully realized.

Looking at the model, the Bittergrub can easily be modeled on its own base, so why not have another character with a pet? Also, her Silver Tower rules don't seem to reflect the wizardly nature of the creature at all.

Now, I'm still in the assembly and painting stage and have yet to play a proper game. Please critique.

Branchwych
Move 5
Agility 4+ (reduced)
Save 5+

Weapon Actions
Fury of the Forest (1+) range-combat to hit-2+ damage-1
Greenwood Scythe (4+) range-combat to hit-3+ damage-d3
Unleash Spites (6+) range-area to hit-4+ damage-1
(Note: the first two weapon actions are as the current card is, but with the addition of Unleash Spites as a wizard summon ability. Maybe decrease the 'to-hits' across the board to 3+, 4+, 5+ respectively to account for the Bittergrub also having it's own attacks? Or at least the last two to 4+ and 5+ and let her at least have a 2+ to hit attack )

Abilities
Quick Tempered (stays the same)
Command (2+) (this is like the warpriest)

Traits (stays the same)
Reknown (stays the same)

Bittergrub (acts as a pet like the gryph-hound)
Move - 3
Agility - 4+
Vigour - 1

Rules: if you have not made a Command (2+) action by the end of your turn, roll on the behavior table to see what the Bittergrub does.

1-2 Hide: Move the Bittergrub towards the Branchwych. If the Bittergrub ends its movement adjacent to the Branchwych, remove the model from the board (or place on the Branchwych base). (Note: this pays tribute to the Bittergrub model initially riding on the back of the Branchwych model as well as the nature of insects to generally scurry for cover.)

3-4 Defend: Like the gryph-hound action of the same name.

5-6 Mandibles: Like the gryph-hound action 'hunt'.

Thoughts? Too powerful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely a good first go at it. But, there are a few bits of feedback on it:

First off, how does the BitterGrub Enter/Return to play? From what you're saying, it sounds like you use the Unleash Spites action to bring it in, but it needs verbage to note that (personally, I'd go with placing it adjacent to a hit Adversary after resolving an Unleash Spites attack if one is not already on the board). Add in a trigger for the ability to only be available while the BitterGrub is attached to the Branchwych, and you have a bit of an interesting way of transforming the character throughout the game - either gaining an extra (small) damage dealer, or having a decent AoE attack that could potentially deal a lot of damage. And, if the BitterGrub is killed, it can respawn attached to the Branchwych during a Respite (or potentially with another action).

I originally thought that the Unleash Spites may need to be dropped to a 5+ to hit, but with the above in mind, I think that it's fine as is, perhaps only asking that it may be tied to the BitterGrub being 'available' (IE, not on the board and not killed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Actually 'Unleash Spites' is a totally different attack. I lifted it from her AoS warscroll. The Branchwych summons a swarm of malicious spites which spiral out and attack. I assume these creatures are living in and around her. This ability reflects her more magical side. Here's the warscroll
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/...

I was thinking that the Bittergrub would move back in on action 'Defend' or 'Mandibles' with its first movement being one of the adjacent spaces around the Branchwych. It basically moves back into the fray.

I'm not married to any of this yet besides looking for a way to reflect some of her spell ability and to have the bittergrub act as a pet. Your interpretation may be the more interesting take...sort of a 'fastball special'.

Again, I haven't played the game yet! ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I get where you're coming from with that, then. The question still remains, though - when the BitterGrub is killed (reduced to 0 Vigour), how does it come back? The Gryph Hound returns during a Respite, but has no entry where it leaves the board. On the other hand, the Necromancer has two Skeletons which may literally shake themselves apart, but has an action to summon new ones, and even gains renown for doing so.

This one seems to fall right in the middle - there's a result that puts it on the BranchWych, semi-removing it from the board and protecting it, but also preventing it from dealing damage. It's easy to get back in that case (though tracking if it's Hiding or if it's been Knocked Out could be a bit of an issue).

So, you have a bit of a choice - you can have an action to bring it back (a la the Necromancer); you can have it auto-respawn during a Respite (a la the Warpriest); or you can do something else clever and unique (such as the idea I posited of it coming in with the SUnleash Spites ability).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so we have two ideas here to flesh out and consider.

1) Bittergrub comes back on via action. To track its status:
* if it's been knocked out - Put the model on the Bittergrub card, move to Branchwych card during Respite.
* if it's in hiding/spawning during Respite - Put the model on the Branchwych card, place adjacent to Branchwych as first space on DEFEND or MANDIBLES action.

2) Bittergrub comes back from either hide or knockout with a Weapon Action that summons one into play as an area attack.

Did I summarize the two methods correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are three options rather than two, but you have the gist of how to track it.

1) With an Action, the Branchwych would be able to bring the Bittergrub back with a (say) 4+ action;
2) The Bittergrub could come back during a Respite (like the Gryph Hound does)
3) Something else entirely. There are many such possibilities:
a) Weapon action (essentially a Fastball Special)
b) When X amount of damage is taken in one round
c) When a 6 is rolled during an Attack action (either specific or in general)
etc.

But, you're getting the idea of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a Herocard and companion-card for this based on the template from the app. I can't attach it here. If there's call for it I am sure I can upload it somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.