Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Eide
Norway
Kongsberg
Buskerud
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played a few rounds now, and the rules are still not very clear.

The rules says: ... your turn, draw a card from
the deck and add it to your display.You must deal with whatever
you encounter on that card..

it does not mention "your display" anywhere else in the rulebook. and it does not actually say what happens next. (if you can draw more cards, or if the next player can draw)

During a delve, does each player draw 1 card and resolve that, then the next player draw a card and resolve that and so forth.. ?
Does all cards count for dragons? Or just the ones you draw yourself in "your display" ?

Or does 1 player draw cards into his display until he either flees or stash treasure? Then the next player does the same thing.
(this is how we played it last time)

The game is fun, and I like the artwork and the press-your luck element. But the rules does not explain the basic game mechanics in a good way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We rotate after each card is drawn, otherwise the rule about the last person in the dungeon getting two treasures (bravery bonus) wouldn't make any sense.

From the rulebook:

Game Play
The game is played in rounds called delves. During each delve, players take turns in clockwise order until each player has stashed treasure or fled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerival wrote:
We rotate after each card is drawn, otherwise the rule about the last person in the dungeon getting two treasures (bravery bonus) wouldn't make any sense.

From the rulebook:

Game Play
The game is played in rounds called delves. During each delve, players take turns in clockwise order until each player has stashed treasure or fled.

This is correct. Each player takes 1 card at a time on their turn, or else decides to stash treasure and stop delving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Eide
Norway
Kongsberg
Buskerud
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok, That works, we just played a game that way now. But there is still som things that is not explained in the rules this way. What happens when a players must flee to a dragon? Must the next player defeat that dragon or donyou discard 1 dragon card, or all 3 cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Levithn wrote:
Ok, That works, we just played a game that way now. But there is still som things that is not explained in the rules this way. What happens when a players must flee to a dragon? Must the next player defeat that dragon or donyou discard 1 dragon card, or all 3 cards?

If I must flee to a dragon, it has no effect on you whatsoever. You only look at the cards in your own display.

If I DO flee (from a dragon, or any monster I can't defeat), then I discard my display and I'm out for the rest of the round.

I think it says that in the rules. I think where people get into trouble is trying to assume rules that aren't there... like "hey, he found a dragon... do *I* have to fight it now?" - to which the answer is "are there 3 dragon cards in your display? If not, then no."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Eide
Norway
Kongsberg
Buskerud
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Levithn wrote:

If I must flee to a dragon, it has no effect on you whatsoever. You only look at the cards in your own display.

If I DO flee (from a dragon, or any monster I can't defeat), then I discard my display and I'm out for the rest of the round.

I think it says that in the rules. I think where people get into trouble is trying to assume rules that aren't there... like "hey, he found a dragon... do *I* have to fight it now?" - to which the answer is "are there 3 dragon cards in your display? If not, then no."

You keep saying "your display" but what does that mean? the rules does not specify what that is, or even mention it.

We used a common pool where everyone draw 1 card and added it to the pool. So if 2 other players drew a dragon and you drew a 3rd dragon, you had to fight it. and then discarded the last dragon card. So if the next player drew another dragon card, he had to fight a dragon aswell.

I don't try to assume any rules, but it is hard when I can't understand how to play this game with the rules as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Levithn wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
Levithn wrote:

You keep saying "your display" but what does that mean? the rules does not specify what that is, or even mention it.

We used a common pool where everyone draw 1 card and added it to the pool. So if 2 other players drew a dragon and you drew a 3rd dragon, you had to fight it. and then discarded the last dragon card. So if the next player drew another dragon card, he had to fight a dragon aswell.

I don't try to assume any rules, but it is hard when I can't understand how to play this game with the rules as written.

Page 4 of Dungeon of Fortune rulebook wrote:

SEEK GLORY
When you choose to Seek Glory on your turn, draw a card from the deck and add it to your display. You must deal with whatever you encounter on the card...

I see what you mean... that could have said "add it to a display in front of you. This is your display."

It sounds like you instead added the card to a single, common display.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Forby
msg tools
I have played this many times with friends. Here is the process:

Character Cards are in front of players, cards are played above the character card. The area above is called a display because you leave the cards in front of you until you either flee or stash.

1st Round: There is nothing to lose so you draw a card to start the dungeon. The first player is the last player from the previous "delve" or last man standing. If you are just starting the game we choose randomly who is the "bravest".

1st player: Draws a card: gets a Dragon Card (we call it Dragon Sign!)

play moves to the next player

2nd player draws a card: Gets a Pilfer card and takes a loot token (if one is to be had) from any other player.

3rd player draws a card: Dungeon Card with Stairs on it- Only a Chest is there. Decides to ignore the chest and NOT take a loot token so that he can save his companions for a monster.

3 player game so Back to 1st player:

1st Player: Player decides to continue and draws a card--Dungeon Card with a Scroll on it: Goblin- uses a Companion, flip it over. Now he has a scroll (we use the advanced rules always due to the character cards having scroll abilities)

2nd player: Dragon Sign! (1st one)

3rd Player: Player decides to continue and draws a card--Dungeon Card with Stairs: 2 chests. Player decides to ignore one of the Chests and open another, moving a companion to the Chest location of the character card. No XP bummer but Got Loot and Stairs. Player Checks Character Card and he needs only one stairs to go down a level. So good.

Play continues. Until only one is left from either fleeing or deciding not to continue and Stashing your loot.

If a Player can't overcome a Dragon Card (3rd and each after) or a Dungeon Card they have to flee and thus all the cards in front of him are discarded and they reset their character card and wait until the next delve.

Fleeing loses all xp and loot tokens in their pouch. No advancement of character or dungeon.

Stashing Loot is a desision to be made prior to drawing a card. If you stash you don't draw a card, you move XP over to the XP spot, move Loot from pouch to Pack and check the Stairs on the card to see if you advance down a level. Then check to see if you have enogh XP to start a new level. If you do, advance stairs or level as needed. Then reset your companion tokens per your new level. And then wait until the next delve.

If you are the last person standing, you can continue if you wish BUT you automatically get the 2 Loot bonus. If you must flee then you lose it all, BUT you still start the next Delve.

It can go fast and being it is a push your luck mechanic...

Hope that this is clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.