6 Posts

Abyss» Forums » Variants

Subject: Any ideas how to improve the two player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
Especially the exploring part. We always end up never buying on the other persons turn and most often take the pearl reaching the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually one of the games that I feel plays well at all player counts!

Why wouldn't you buy a card from the other player if it has a high value? Or stop exploring and take that high value card if the other player declines to buy it. It seems unlikely that most explorations reach the end of the track.

What other problems are you having with this game? I find the military lords less fun because there's only one other person to affect, but that's a personal preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Cook
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to sound like a jerk, but it just sounds like you folks need to work on your card evoluations.

The explore track is always an interesting part of the game. Two players is such a tight game that you have to use all the advantages you can get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Girts Perkons
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
Back for more action!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Master5willows wrote:
Not to sound like a jerk, but it just sounds like you folks need to work on your card evaluations.

The explore track is always an interesting part of the game. Two players is such a tight game that you have to use all the advantages you can get.

I agree! I mostly play Abyss 2P with my girlfriend. And 90% of games are really tight on score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
Meat Shield wrote:
Master5willows wrote:
Not to sound like a jerk, but it just sounds like you folks need to work on your card evaluations.

I agree! I mostly play Abyss 2P with my girlfriend. And 90% of games are really tight on score.

I'm glad it works for others but it doesn't for us thus my question if anyone has suggestions to tweak this phase for our situation. Maybe we drop the pearl reward or roll a die to steal a card from the player drawing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardTogether wrote:
Meat Shield wrote:
Master5willows wrote:

I'm glad it works for others but it doesn't for us thus my question if anyone has suggestions to tweak this phase for our situation. Maybe we drop the pearl reward or roll a die to steal a card from the player drawing.

but what is "your situation" that requires tweaking?

here's the tweak you need: buy your opponents cards during exploration. When a 4 or 5 is revealed, take it. what more do you want?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.