Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Giemsa
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

i just finished playing a 2-Player game of The Colonists up to the end of Season 2. Both of us really enjoyed the game and want to play it again soon, but we were a little confused by the over-supply of tools. did we play the game wrong? getting 3 tools every year and for example when playing a card doesn't seem to generate the expected scarcity. the matter got even more strange, when locations came into play, where you could get tools in exchange for quite valuable goods...

did any of you experience the same issue?

Tnx
Patrick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
Literally every building costs tools, including the colony steps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Believe me, in era 3 you'll be begging for tools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
funketyme wrote:
Hello,

i just finished playing a 2-Player game of The Colonists up to the end of Season 2. Both of us really enjoyed the game and want to play it again soon, but we were a little confused by the over-supply of tools. did we play the game wrong? getting 3 tools every year and for example when playing a card doesn't seem to generate the expected scarcity. the matter got even more strange, when locations came into play, where you could get tools in exchange for quite valuable goods...

did any of you experience the same issue?

Tnx
Patrick

We had the same feeling playing a 2 era game last night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some issues with tools in a era I and II game I played yesterday. Nothing very problematic, but at times I had to think about where to get more tools. One reason for that was our board layout, where the Developer was placed in a rather wieldy spot so it wasn't easy to access.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also remember, you can only go to the Developer for tools if you play a card. So unless your cards are tool free (or only cost 1 tool), the Developer doesn't help with tools.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a bunch of tool-free cards, mostly those instant production cards, so that was not a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
Believe me, in era 3 you'll be begging for tools.

We played into Era 3 today and still had way too many tools. We just stopped taking them after awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the problem of too many tools. My opponent did not. My opponent won by a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'be been running short by the start of Era III, and needed to really alter my plans during that Era to cope with the critical tool shortage. It wasn't that much better in Era IV - even when you open up the last building spots on your board, it's hard to fill them if you have tool shortages.

It's the resource-producing buildings that look to be the biggest tool hogs. Esp clay hollows - build a couple of them and then tell me that you have too many tools!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played again today, and two of us had tool shortages by the end of Era II. In era III, we were fighting over the blacksmith, and with Envoys in play the Developer was more like a campsite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nathan
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two player, 1-4 era game yesterday, and both of us were in the tool abundance situation throughout.

One is partly explainable by a graphical misinterpretation. I misconstrued the production building symbol of a crossed pick axe and shovel for the tool symbol of a crossed hammer and tongs, with regards to the factories. Seems unfortunate that, given the relatively tiny printing of the graphical detail, that those two symbols are so similar. I now understand that factories and the Industrialist Embassy do not produce additional tools.

Regarding the graphic design and tools, question on the use of "+" in front of goods.

*When an action space wants you to TAKE resources, it uses a +. (e.g. Clay Delve)
*When the Developer wants you to TAKE tools, it uses a +.
*When the player board instructs you to PAY tools to raze, it uses the +.

I have no feelings as to the use of the +, my question is just to confirm that those statements are correct? I see references to the Developer being an outflow of tools overall, but if it gives you 2 everytime, maybe not? I had 17 cards played by the end (thanks to Scholar Colony and Institute), but only 6 of them had tools in the cost, and only 1 of the 6 I had left in my hand did. The rulebook seems clear that I get those tools, but the symbol matches the use in the razing case, so maybe I pay 2 tools every time I go to the Developer? (Though in that case, I'd argue for the black arrow)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xitoliv wrote:

*When an action space wants you to TAKE resources, it uses a +. (e.g. Clay Delve)
*When the Developer wants you to TAKE tools, it uses a +.
*When the player board instructs you to PAY tools to raze, it uses the +.

I have no feelings as to the use of the +, my question is just to confirm that those statements are correct? I see references to the Developer being an outflow of tools overall, but if it gives you 2 everytime, maybe not? I had 17 cards played by the end (thanks to Scholar Colony and Institute), but only 6 of them had tools in the cost, and only 1 of the 6 I had left in my hand did. The rulebook seems clear that I get those tools, but the symbol matches the use in the razing case, so maybe I pay 2 tools every time I go to the Developer? (Though in that case, I'd argue for the black arrow)

You take tools when you see the + sign. So yes, the Developer gives you two tools. I don't know for certain, but there are restrictions to gaining tools when you have the Scholar Colony in play. You'll want to check the appendix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. Using the + sign meaning different things is bad. I'm sorry for that. In case of razing, you have an added tool cost of 2 tools. In the other cases, you get the tools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.