Subject: Return to Hoth - Rebel Hero Group rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have ran several campaigns as the Imperials, and have a group starting tomorrow for Return to Hoth. 3 of the 4 Rebels were in my last campaign (Core) and only won Aftermath and the Finale (mostly due to the fact I kept "forgetting" to use my stack of earned class/reward cards and bloated Agenda deck).

Now, they've chosen the following set of Rebels for the RTH campaign...

Loku
Mak
Jyn
Davith

Main problem with this group, is that they don't have a lot of collective health, and all roll white dice for defense. I've already chosen "Armored Onslaught" as my class deck, and I believe there's a card in there that is either a deplete or exhaust that negates a Dodge roll...

Should I encourage them to rethink their hero group, or should they be able to find a decent strategy with this combo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
This campaign will be a stomp unless you don't play competitive.

No support characters, little synergy between the heroes and almost all of them require expensive upgrades to deal damage(the real bane of glass canon groups).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Dube
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are some real problems with this group of Rebels. I think you have the right idea, they should rethink their group. Some things you can do to help them:

- Encourage them to look at the class cards for the heroes. All of them excel at taking threat off the board but it's gonna take a while for them to get there.
- Stress to them that the synergy between heroes is somewhat lacking. In this group, a support hero could be the glue that holds them together.
- Highlight where their thinking failed them in the last campaign. Were they too focused on blasting those stormtroopers off the board instead of maybe taking damage and grabbing that first terminal? Were they lacking synergy, as with their current group?

At the end of the day, it seems you're realizing that it's more about having fun than about winning, but with the group they picked they'll have a hard time getting off the ground. Just wait until you play any of the Bespin missions, like Davith's Reclassified... soblue It's almost difficult to NOT win as the IP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, I'd really suggest having a tank in there somewhere- and how set on Davith is that player? If it's just for the Jedi factor, maybe Diala would be a more solid pick for this group?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Allenberg
msg tools
Bohde8781 wrote:
Main problem with this group, is that they don't have a lot of collective health, and all roll white dice for defense. I've already chosen "Armored Onslaught" as my class deck, and I believe there's a card in there that is either a deplete or exhaust that negates a Dodge roll...

You're thinking of Pinpoint Accuracy which is in the Precision Training deck. However they're going to hate the HK droid forcing them to reroll their dodge results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reserved 89
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All four of the listed heroes have support abilities. All four have defensive and/or health granting abilities. I also don't see that this group has to spend any more credits than any other group.

In short, I don't see the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uninvited Guest wrote:

You're thinking of Pinpoint Accuracy which is in the Precision Training deck. However they're going to hate the HK droid forcing them to reroll their dodge results.

Ahh, thank you... since this will be my first RTH campaign, I was looking at both class decks from this expansion, and obviously got them a little mixed up... didn't have them in front of me at work.

Yes, that would definitely be a huge advantage to bring in the HK Assassin Droids as open groups if they start getting lucky with dodges on their white defense dice.

Subtrendy Gaming wrote:

Yeah, I'd really suggest having a tank in there somewhere- and how set on Davith is that player? If it's just for the Jedi factor, maybe Diala would be a more solid pick for this group?

Here are the factors for each:

1) Player that chose Loku isn't budging at all... says he can't turn down the chance to play as a Mon Calamari Special Forces, even though he was Loku in our previous Twin Shadows campaign.

2) Player that chose Jyn is female, and will ONLY pick female characters. She was Verena in our last campaign and wanted to try someone new. She likes Jyn over Diala, but said she would be Diala if needed. She didn't seem too impressed with either Saska or Murne Rin's characters, but would pick a female character over a droid (so MHD is out for now, at least until she plays as all the available female characters).

3) Player that chose Davith a) wanted to play as a character neither he nor his girlfriend have played as before (Saska, Gideon, Gaarkhan, Diala), b) likes trying out the newest characters from recent expansions (why he was Saska in his 1st campaign, since I had just added Twin Shadows), and c) said he'd fill the role of a Jedi and melee character since no one else's first picks were either (and he's always been a support character before). He could probably be persuaded to switch. If player 2 decided to switch to Diala, he would probably switch to someone else... he's looked at Biv and Fenn before as potential characters.

4) Player that chose Mak played as that character in our Twin Shadows mini-campaign last month using Redjak's AI variant (I was Biv in that campaign). Said he wanted to try him for a full campaign, since TS was too short to see what he really could do. However, he did like Biv (after seeing me play as him in TS), and could be persuaded to switch to Biv or another character. Was Gaarkhan in the last full campaign, and wouldn't choose the Wookiee again.

Main problem why this group (3 of 4 were in my last campaign that got demolished... player 3 above wasn't in that one) has had troubles is they usually focus on trying to clear out Imperial figures instead of objectives, and mostly lost by running out of rounds. I could see some advantages to the group they've chosen originally to get to objectives faster, but they're also at a slight disadvantage at taking damage and more likely getting wounded, and have no character with a good strength test roll.

We start the campaign tonight, so I'll give them one last chance tonight to reform their party before we actually start the first mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, don't change Mak to Biv. You already have one melee character (yes, Biv is a close-range combat hero), and Hoth is all about big maps. Biv can do single-target damage, but by the time you need that, Mak will have No Escape etc to achieve the same thing. And Loku is the long-range expert, and Recon tokens are very useful for damage and crates.

A source for focused would be useful (Diala with Battle Meditation is the usual one), but at least Mak will get Jeswandi Training.

I think in Return to Hoth almost any ranged group should do well. (At least I have been losing every mission this far with Precision Training. Red Snow, White Troopers - SWIA032 - Finished 2017-02-14)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, your players are truly picky. Well, I suppose you've given them fair warning. They've built their boat, now it's time to let them sink in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Armored Onslaught in my F2F Hoth campaign vs. Loku, Verena, MHD, and Biv. Especially with Mortar and Heavy Firepower, you'll be laying down damage big time. Mortar is especially nasty, since it can't be defended against. And with Power to Shields, you can effectively negate Mak's Ambush.

The second half of my campaign was just brutal and my rebel players were getting discouraged.

But then again, the finale is such an uphill battle for the IP (I lost mine), so they may still win (if they don't give up beforehand).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
No, don't change Mak to Biv. You already have one melee character (yes, Biv is a close-range combat hero), and Hoth is all about big maps. Biv can do single-target damage, but by the time you need that, Mak will have No Escape etc to achieve the same thing. And Loku is the long-range expert, and Recon tokens are very useful for damage and crates.

A source for focused would be useful (Diala with Battle Meditation is the usual one), but at least Mak will get Jeswandi Training.

I think in Return to Hoth almost any ranged group should do well. (At least I have been losing every mission this far with Precision Training. Red Snow, White Troopers - SWIA032 - Finished 2017-02-14)

What would you think about if they changed to the following (as some of these are alternates they've talked about):

Player 1) Loku
Player 2) Diala
Player 3) Biv (or Fenn)
Player 4) Mak

Player 2 was kinda on the fence anyways between Jyn and Diala, and has played both melee and support before (and Diala is kinda both, depending on need and abilities purchased)

Player 3 has usually been support (since his gf is usually melee/tank), but since his gf isn't in this campaign, I think he may enjoy being more of a melee/tank/close fighter this time. Or Fenn is a decent damage dealer as well.

Player 4 could then stay as Mak and use his sneakiness to get to objectives (since they won't have Jyn or Davith anymore).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, thanks everyone for your recommendations... in the end, the Rebels stuck with their original lineup, and I kept "Armored Onslaught" class deck.

They failed both the opening mission of RTH (Battle of Hoth) and their first side mission (Threat mission, "Survival of the Fittest"), but not by a lot.

Trying not to get into any spoilers, but I was able to wound them pretty easily with help from the AO base class card (exhaust to replace any attack die with a red, and was using this mostly to replace one yellow Probe Droid attack die with a red), with Loku as the last non-wounded Hero in both missions, and Loku had extremely unlucky dice rolls at the end of both missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you think the rebel team is on the weak side, try passing up Mortar in the Armored Onslaught deck. It's easily the best card and can tear them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stl0369 wrote:
If you think the rebel team is on the weak side, try passing up Mortar in the Armored Onslaught deck. It's easily the best card and can tear them up.

Ha! That's actually the card I was saving up my XP for...

I might go ahead and buy one of the other XP cards now (Automated Repairs or Reactive Armor), and delay getting Mortar for a few missions... or save up for "Power to Shields" so I can negate Mak's Ambush ability and cancel his Pierce2

The more I look at the cards in Armored Onslaught, it's quickly becoming one of my favorite Imperial classes. Subversive is one of my top picks too, but I learned NOT to use it on newer players, as it just demoralizes all the Rebels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.