Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Nelson
United States
Oxford
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this game looks awesome but I would only be able to play this with my wife and I am not sure she would be down with all the nerdy aspects of the game (i.e. fighting, miniatures, etc.) She like Euros and competitive games and this game seems so have those elements, but I am worried all the chrome will turn her off. Anyone want to offer up suggestions or experiences to help me out with this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
... ...
Germany
flag msg tools
It has a lot of euro mechanics and is definitely very competitive. Especially with only two players it can be quite a knife fight.

If the chrome bothers her I know some people replaced their minis with meeples and standees and sold of the rest on eBay.

The game does tend to have a lot of direct conflict which might be of putting to a traditional euro player but I would definitely recommend the game. It is a very solid hybrid with some great card combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I know some people replaced their minis with meeples and standees and sold of the rest on eBay.

Weirdos.

sorry, I couldn't resist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loud smoker
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest I think is more an Eurogamer then else , yes you have miniature ( by the way... amazing! ) but is not a fighting die hard roll dice game, there is strategy and is competitive but with a twist, not necessary winning battles translate in winning the game, very easy to explain in 20 minutes you can start a game ( rules included ) and last less then 2 hours ( 2 players games ) , lot of fun for sure ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. I like Blood Rage, but I wouldn't pick it for a 2 player game, regardless of the other considerations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I love Blood Rage, I don't think it's very good at 2 player ( I play 90% of my games at 2p with my girlfriend). The map does scale, but you lose a lot of the tension and action you'd see at 3p+. The drafting is also a little lackluster at 2p.

Cry Havoc gives us a better 2p experience. There's one faction, the Pilgrims, that essentially runs as a defensive Euro engine builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loud smoker
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Hmm. I like Blood Rage, but I wouldn't pick it for a 2 player game, regardless of the other considerations.

Actually you are right sir.

If OP want a 2 player game BR maybe is not the best game , works fine with 4/5 player,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueEdwards wrote:
So this game looks awesome but I would only be able to play this with my wife and I am not sure she would be down with all the nerdy aspects of the game (i.e. fighting, miniatures, etc.) She like Euros and competitive games and this game seems so have those elements, but I am worried all the chrome will turn her off. Anyone want to offer up suggestions or experiences to help me out with this?

Since when fighting is a nerdy thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:
BlueEdwards wrote:

since it's not happening in real life
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:
BlueEdwards wrote:

Nerd!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BlueEdwards wrote:
I would

1- Simply ask her.
2- Show her the videos from Watch it Played while constantly interjecting "awesome right?".
3- Get at least one more player.
4- Buy at least one Viking helmet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, not a great 2-player game - I'd pass
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the 2P game. Go figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sena
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I absolutely love Blood Rage and play it every chance I get.

That said, I also agree it is not great for 2p. My GF and I played about three games when I first got it, but after that we both agreed that there are far better games for this.

If I could only play it 2p, I would pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueEdwards wrote:

Of all the games I kickstarted (and received), my girlfriend likes Blood Rage the best. Before we invited friends to play 3/4 player games we did 10 2-player games together.

PS The others games are Scythe, Mare Nostrum, Centauri Saga, Shadowstar Corsairs, Zombicide & Posthuman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Stevanato
Italy
Spinea (VE)
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion not the best in 2 players. Best in 4-5 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the 2 player game quite a bit as well. There are better 2 player games for sure, but a lot of them are 2 player games only. I find Blood rage scales better than most games on the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl hotko
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife and I are strategy game fans. While we are often able to play games with others we do also play a lot of games 2 handed. Some work, some don't. Blood Rage is far superior at 4 players but is still a great game at 2. It also is fairly quick given how much is actually in the game. We both enjoy Blood Rage 2 handed and she is not a miniatures gamer at all.

For context, other games that are GREAT at 2 players that we enjoy are Five Tribes, Splendor and Istanbul. 2 handed Blood Rage is on a slightly lower rotation that the others but it still is usually in the 2 handed game conversations.

My copy does not have any of the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueEdwards wrote:

The game is not really good with just two players, anyways.

So, no, I would not recommend it to you.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.