Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Degnan
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overview:
“Psh. . Commander, we have a situation. . . There are 20+ bombs we have found on this ship. Are you and your crew able to defuse these bombs in order to save the people on this ship?” Oh and I forgot to mention that the bombs all detonate together in 10 minutes! Are you up to the task?
Fuse is a 1-5 player real time dice placement game where players work cooperatively to defuse all the bombs on the ship in 10 minutes. This game, as you can imagine is fast paced and full of quick decisions and dexterity movements (trying to get dice out of a bag at the same time as 3 other people are putting dice into the bag is a real feat!).
If you prefer a practical approach to seeing if you would enjoy the game, please feel free to stop by my channel (One Stop Co-op Shop) and watch the playthrough. After all, it is only 10 minutes long https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4w14ODP58U

When playing Fuse, you will be grabbing dice out of a black bag (which does not have a large enough mouth IMO!), rolling them, and then trying to determine which player can utilize which dice on their bombs to diffuse them. Any die unused must be re-rolled and players that have either matching colored die or a matching pip number on the re-rolled die must remove this die from their bomb. As you complete bombs, you will grab from a pile of 5 uncompleted bombs and replenish the 5 available bombs from your bomb stack. Your goal is to diffuse a certain amount of bombs within the 10 minute time frame. At all times you will have 2 bomb cards in-front of you that you can place dice. For all levels except insane you win when there are no more bombs left in the pool (but you can still have the two bombs in-front of you unfinished).

Art & Design: 6/10
The Art and design of the game is simple. As you will be glancing at your cards only for practical purposes and not to admire the art, this is fine by me. What is important is after a play or two it is very easy to determine which type of dice you need to defuse the bomb in-front of you.

Theme: 7/10
Initially, I would say the theme of this game is pretty weak. Instead of defusing bombs, you feel like you are playing a fast version of a dice placement game. However the saving grace to the Theme for me is the App. You can download a free App when you buy the game, and it has a timer that has a voice you can listen to while playing. The voice with a personality is actually pretty funny and can add to the stress of the game. There also is a basic voice that will announce the time left etc. In my opinion playing with the App is required as it makes the game feel more real. The App screen looks just like a bomb and has a counter that reminds you of every movie you have seen that includes bombs.

Gameplay Mechanics: 8.25/10

Dice Placement: the most important aspect of this game is the dice placement. You will roll dice equal to the number of players (except for 1 & 2 player games which will be discussed below) and each player can choose AT MOST 1 die to place on their open bombs in front of them. If some of you are unable to utilize any of the dice, the dice not used must be picked up and rolled, and every player has to lose one die from their bombs for each die rolled that matches the color/or pip number of the re-rolled die. This means that if possible you will want to use up all the dice rolled each time. With this comes the coordination that makes this game tick (ha get the pun?).

Fuse Cards: In your deck of bombs to defuse there will also be fuse cards that when drawn everyone will need to get rid of any one die on the bombs in-front of them that match either the color or pip number on the fuse. This means that each time you are flipping new bombs over you never know if you are going to hurt yourself or your teammates.

Other than this, the mechanics in the game are really quite simple. You need to stack, or do math, or match colors with the dice available to you to diffuse your bombs as quickly as possible. This simplicity makes the game easy to teach but it is still challenging to master.

Cooperative Aspect: 10/10
I am having a hard time thinking of a game that requires more cooperation than this game. Every time new dice are rolled, everyone has to communicate effectively the dice they need/can take and then the team has to quickly make a decision of who takes what. No alpha gamer here because there just isn’t enough TIME! The entire game is all about cooperation because we score points as a team, not as an individual. However you may have a player (like me) who is frantically trying to keep the game going by yelling “go go go, just pick a die that works we only have 2 minutes left!”

Replayability: 9/10
Every game you will have different bombs to start with. You will have different dice rolls, you can play at numerous levels (my favorite right now is insane; I want to beat it so bad!). I have recorded 16 games on BGG as of now, and that is only as of July. Anyone who asked me to play this, I would in a heart-beat. It is quick, fun, and provides the right amount of rush for a 10 minute game.

Difficulty:

Teaching Game: Game teaching should take about 5 minutes. You could even play a game and have them watch. So simple to learn!

Playing Game: Easy to play as the actions are simple. Can be difficult for some people to master if they have a hard time making quick decisions and like to think things through. I am an impulsive person and so this game fits into my personality just fine!

Player Number:
This is an interesting question to be sure. For me, I love two player (video is 2 player) because you roll 4 dice each round and can choose 2 dice a round. I find this more of a challenge. However, you are also only trying to cooperate with one other person so that is easier. This game works really well for all player counts. Solo play is hard because you will have 4 bombs in-front of you, but after a couple plays you will get used to the overload of information.

Player Type:
I have played this game with my mom and sister, both non-gamers and they loved it! I have played with my gamer group and they enjoyed it for a filler game. So this game really is for anyone. My 3 year-old loves watching the game and I hope to have him playing by 4.

Final Thoughts: 7.25/10
If you are strapped for time, but want to get a game in, this one is for you. Easy set-up and take down. When you win it is a rewarding experience for the entire group playing, and is easily adjustable for difficulty. I like to bring this game to the doctor’s office and play in the waiting area with the app sound off. It is fun to see all the people around us curiously watching what we are doing! And if ever you win the insane level and record it, I want to see it!! Our playthrough we got so close (3 cards I think) but that felt like a once in a lifetime thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite way to play this game is solo.

Any timer will do, but if you're searching for the app, look for Renegade game studio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrie K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review.
One correction: When drawing a fuse card, each player must throw away ONE die matching the color or number of the die on the card, similar to how you resolve an unused die,not all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Degnan
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
>fortheloveofdice - Agreed, solo is pretty awesome, however I find that the coordination with multiple players (especially 5) to make it the most difficult but rewarding experience. If you win at the hard levels with 5 you are obviously doing a great job coordinating!

The timer app is certainly not needed, but I think it adds to the theme!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Degnan
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
>dipbubs - you are SO right!! I have played this wrong the whole time! Will update in the OP shortly. Thank you!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.