Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting another deck so we can try out a 4-player variant.

With 36 cards, there will still be 9 turns each, but we'll need some house rules:

1. Only attack or use Politics to affect the players on either side of you
2. If you acquire a duplicate Tech, you must return one other Tech to the Supply; if you can't return another Tech, you're not allowed to acquire the duplicate
3. Alternatively, the FULL use of enhanced Research (with 3 Research symbols) can be used to take a duplicate Tech instead of an extra Research Action

Would it work 3-player? You'd be playing 12 turns each rather than 9, so Warfare might become more significant...

I'll post some more once we've tried it out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, we tried out the 3-player 13-turn game.

It worked really well: winning score 55 (high, as you'd expect over 13 turns, but could have been higher).

As you'd expect, Warfare turned out to be a much stronger strategy over 13 turns, but it was possible to fortify yourself (with 2x Mobilisation, 2 x defensive planet, etc).

I'm thinking of an additional rule tweak where, after a certain point, it gets harder to Colonize or Warfare - like, after the 0 Planets get exhausted, all remaining Planets cost +1 to Colonize;after all the 3 Planets get exhausted, all remaining Planets/Colonies get +1 Defense. This counteracts the effect that, once you use an action to draw back your discard pile around turn 10, you're drawing back a huge hand with lots of icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taranto
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deadmarlowe wrote:
OK, we tried out the 3-player 13-turn game.

It worked really well: winning score 55 (high, as you'd expect over 13 turns, but could have been higher).

As you'd expect, Warfare turned out to be a much stronger strategy over 13 turns, but it was possible to fortify yourself (with 2x Mobilisation, 2 x defensive planet, etc).

I'm thinking of an additional rule tweak where, after a certain point, it gets harder to Colonize or Warfare - like, after the 0 Planets get exhausted, all remaining Planets cost +1 to Colonize;after all the 3 Planets get exhausted, all remaining Planets/Colonies get +1 Defense. This counteracts the effect that, once you use an action to draw back your discard pile around turn 10, you're drawing back a huge hand with lots of icons.

Been thinking about this too... maybe you have a hand limit? Like players can only pick up to a maximum of seven cards or something? Or perhaps something like "World Without End" - for every card you pick up, you must remove one from the game (but keep it for final scoring)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.