Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Secret Hitler» Forums » General

Subject: A Low in Gaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan H
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Why choose this theme over all others. It is crass and a cry for attention.

Kids it is not cool to have Hitler written all over your games boxes; and it certainly isn't funny to sit round a table accusing people of being Hitler..... If you think it is find a big shiny mirror
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with you if the game were mere clickbait. In my estimation, it is not--it has a surprising amount of historicity.
38 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan H
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
I would agree with you if the game were mere clickbait. In my estimation, it is not--it has a surprising amount of historicity.


just because you pad out the theme so it is not just accusing people of being Hitler doesn't change the exceedingly bad taste. It just means they have used their brains and made it a little more thematic.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Knack
United States
San Rafael
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Mark Bigney on this.
While the marketing and general aesthetic of the game is a bit irreverent, I find that the game-play works as a nice (if not over-simplified) demonstration of how easily well-intentioned decisions by well-intentioned people can often derail into worst case scenarios.

It's easy to look back on history with 20/20 vision and wonder how it was possible for clearly deleterious events like the ascension of Hitler could take place in a rational world; forgetting the rampant paranoia, strong rhetoric, and cults of personality that come with rapid ideological change.

To it's credit, SH makes an attempt to recreate a slice of the intense decision making responsibility of trying to hold your government together as it slowly crumbles around you, always wondering if it would be advantageous to give in to Fascist policies just to grasp enough power to turn the ship around.


That said, I don't want to give it too much praise. Judged as a Board Game instead of as a historical homage, it's an unimpressive iteration on The Resistance that replaces the core logic puzzle with random card draw.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan H
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
realityfoible wrote:
I agree with Mark Bigney on this.
While the marketing and general aesthetic of the game is a bit irreverent, I find that the game-play works as a nice (if not over-simplified) demonstration of how easily well-intentioned decisions by well-intentioned people can often derail into worst case scenarios.

It's easy to look back on history with 20/20 vision and wonder how it was possible for clearly deleterious events like the ascension of Hitler could take place in a rational world; forgetting the rampant paranoia, strong rhetoric, and cults of personality that come with rapid ideological change.

To it's credit, SH makes an attempt to recreate a slice of the intense decision making responsibility of trying to hold your government together as it slowly crumbles around you, always wondering if it would be advantageous to give in to Fascist policies just to grasp enough power to turn the ship around.


That said, I don't want to give it too much praise. Judged as a Board Game instead of as a historical homage, it's an unimpressive iteration on The Resistance that replaces the core logic puzzle with random card draw.


So why bother with this game at all. If the game play is much the same as the resistance / avalon with a slight twist then I really cant see what there is going for it.

I don't play a relatively simple hidden role game to try and understand the rise of Hitler in 1930s Germany.... and generally when people are educating themselves on the rise of fascism they are not accusing the person sitting next to then of being Hitler.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yodi wrote:
just because you pad out the theme so it is not just accusing people of being Hitler doesn't change the exceedingly bad taste.


Right! Just like how games with a pirate theme are in bad taste because they glorify piracy, and games on zombies are evil because they encourage people to eat other people's brains, wargames are clearly unethical because they promote the resolution of differences through violent means.

I have this vague memory of having heard this line of logic somewhere before, like D&D being a tool used by Satanists to turn little kids into devil worshipers...

shake
33 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan H
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
Yodi wrote:
just because you pad out the theme so it is not just accusing people of being Hitler doesn't change the exceedingly bad taste.


Right! Just like how games with a pirate theme are in bad taste because they glorify piracy, and games on zombies are evil because they encourage people to eat other people's brains, wargames are clearly unethical because they promote the resolution of differences through violent means.

I have this vague memory of having heard this line of logic somewhere before, like D&D being a tool used by Satanists to turn little kids into devil worshipers...

shake


Oh dear if that is your logic it will take a long time to help you see the light shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yodi wrote:
Oh dear if that is your logic it will take a long time to help you see the light shake


Well what do you think about games about colonialism? I see you have a high rating for Age of Empires III
18 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Leamons
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fear The Fin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm, playing Secret Hitler is a riot. And if it offends you, don't play it. There are many, many other games that involve Hitler in one way or another - are you offended by all of them?

They've already replaced all the fascists with pictures of reptiles. If the game was called "Reichstag 1932", would that be better?
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Galeziewski
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
I honestly can't tell if you are just trying to get a rise out of people or if you are legitimately offended. If it offends you, don't play it, but it has been over about 70 years since then and many generations have been born since then. Having a little sense of humor about dark times isn't a bad thing. I find it a fun little distraction and since I know my friends well, we all know we aren't actual fascists but just have fun with it.

Again, if you don't like it or are offended by it, don't play it and don't read the forums. My friends enjoy this theme over the other themes and thus will continue to play it.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan H
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
MadFuhrer wrote:
I honestly can't tell if you are just trying to get a rise out of people or if you are legitimately offended. If it offends you, don't play it, but it has been over about 70 years since then and many generations have been born since then. Having a little sense of humor about dark times isn't a bad thing. I find it a fun little distraction and since I know my friends well, we all know we aren't actual fascists but just have fun with it.

Again, if you don't like it or are offended by it, don't play it and don't read the forums. My friends enjoy this theme over the other themes and thus will continue to play it.


Given your BGG name is Fuhrur it pretty much says everything.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cat Five
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough break the theme not being digestible to you, Dan. I guess that means you're not the target market.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmb
This game is pretty bad. But of course I own the Collector's Edition. #addict
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Allen
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering one of the developers was behind Cards Against Humanity, the final product is pretty tame in the grand scheme, so I'm not terribly surprised by the shock value they were going for. That said, I disagree that the theme has much to do with the game and that it adds much at all to the game. They could equally well have made it Star Wars themed and I would prefer it over other social deduction games.

I enjoy the game because I think it provides a different experience from The Resistance in that the information is not completely open and instead only exists between pairs of people. So while it is less of a strict logic puzzle, it still remains a partial logic puzzle with more social aspects and some randomness (though I don't think the randomness is a detractor).

I don't intend this to minimize the offense you take from the theme, but as others have said, if it bothers you, why are you giving it any of your attention or time at all? Just ignore it and enjoy the games that you like playing.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
We each have a place we draw our own lines in being offended by something. I find the game offensive, so I don't play it.

I'm ok with some colonialism in games (Puerto Rico). I'm ok with witch hunts (ONU Werewolf). I'm undecided on canabalism (Lifeboats).

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
realityfoible wrote:
it's an unimpressive iteration on The Resistance that replaces the core logic puzzle with random card draw.

It's true that there's uncertainty in the card draw, but it seems to me that the uncertainty is fairly manageable with a modicum of probability and combinatorics. Meanwhile, the larger number of lower-stakes missions means that you get actual data you can make deductions from: in The Resistance, by the time you have any actual facts, the game is already over.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yodi wrote:
Lancer4321 wrote:
Yodi wrote:
just because you pad out the theme so it is not just accusing people of being Hitler doesn't change the exceedingly bad taste.


Right! Just like how games with a pirate theme are in bad taste because they glorify piracy, and games on zombies are evil because they encourage people to eat other people's brains, wargames are clearly unethical because they promote the resolution of differences through violent means.

I have this vague memory of having heard this line of logic somewhere before, like D&D being a tool used by Satanists to turn little kids into devil worshipers...

shake


Oh dear if that is your logic it will take a long time to help you see the light shake


Look, either you have a sense of humor or you don't. I agree it's a little irreverent, but it's still amusing nonetheless.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the OP is just looking to wind people up.shake

If something offends you, don't listen, don't look, don't play it, turn to another station, whatever.

You have a right to be offended. You don't have the right to cajole and berate others who are not offended.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
realityfoible wrote:
it's an unimpressive iteration on The Resistance that replaces the core logic puzzle with random card draw.

It's true that there's uncertainty in the card draw, but it seems to me that the uncertainty is fairly manageable with a modicum of probability and combinatorics. Meanwhile, the larger number of lower-stakes missions means that you get actual data you can make deductions from: in The Resistance, by the time you have any actual facts, the game is already over.


Depends on the player count. That's why Resistance with more than 7 isn't that great.

Secret Hitler definitely has info, but it's true that it's still random.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Conn
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yodi wrote:


Oh dear if that is your logic it will take a long time to help you see the light shake



Wow. Just back out now.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh No... He's not content with ruining every single thread in the Agricola fora. Now he's here too...

Joy of joys.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lower than Card's Against Humanity?

Fine then I guess I need to put out my Secret Sith reskin.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmb
RockLobster wrote:
Oh No... He's not content with ruining every single thread in the Agricola fora. Now he's here too...

Joy of joys.
Link?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
RockLobster wrote:
Oh No... He's not content with ruining every single thread in the Agricola fora. Now he's here too...

Joy of joys.
Link?

Browse at your own risk. You have been warned.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/browse/boardgameimplementa...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.