Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Best Play Recommends: Twilight Imperium rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Windels
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Twilight Imperium is different to what we usually recommend. Very different. I’m not even sure if we actually recommend it or if we just think we do.

The most important thing to know is that it takes about eight hours to play. EIGHT. If that puts you off already, then turn away now. Crack out your copy of Coup or Super Rhino and move on with your life.

For those of you still with me, you must be like me. Players will need to be naturally curious and unnaturally patient.

All of you take the role of a different galactic race, each equipped with wildly different capabilities and weaknesses, as well as rich, well-written backstories.

You’re positioned in a semi-randomly generated universe that means no two games ever take place in the same setting. You’ll start with nothing but a pair of planets, and a brief to control the galaxy. The problem is, it’s really not big enough for all of you.

Over the course of the next, well, day, you’ll be scrambling for new colonies and jostling for position as the leading race. That might mean harvesting resources and amassing a huge warfleet, intimidating your foes into submission or just swinging the threat around to get what you want.

It could be that you invest deeply into the intricate web of pioneering new technologies, gaining an advantage that can’t be beaten through brute force alone.

Others will see this, and might start plotting secret assassinations of your political representatives, or pushing through devastating new laws to heavily tax use of your new technologies.

Perhaps your neighbours will form powerful new trade deals, enshrining collaborative alliances that you simply can’t compete with alone.
The range of options available to you will be overwhelming at first, but the beauty of Twilight Imperium is that there is always a way out; always an alternative strategy to pursue.

The game plays out as a complicated series of deals, threats, legislation, destruction, betrayals, wars, investments and other difficult decisions, combined with a sliver of luck that adds an element of thrill to scenarios that might have otherwise been foregone conclusions.

While chess is often held aloft as the pinnacle of competitive mental gaming, testing short and long term strategic thinking to the extreme, Twilight Imperium offers that recipe cooked to a crisp.

It’s difficult to think of any other game that offers such a test of concentration, intellect and strategy, and for those willing to invest the time not only learning the rules, but in the sometimes glacial pace of play, there is a rich and rewarding experience to be had.

There are few other games that feel so good just to be taking part, such that even being in last place gives the player endless opportunity to scheme, plan and plot their route to the top.

Players will inevitably feel involved until the final moment, and when that bell eventually does ring the playing group will feel that strange mix of relief and mutual bonding only earned during extended trials in the presence of others.

To begin explaining the rules in any detail here on Best Play would be farcical, but for those with an appetite for slow, cerebral and multi-layered board gaming then there can be nothing better.

Twilight Imperium is the Infinite Jest. It’s the Godfather. It’s the Dark Souls. It asks a lot of its players, but it certainly gives a lot in return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Timmerman
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate that you focus on what playing the game feels like instead of just rehashing rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite game!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Very different review

and adds a bit of mystery to the question,cool

Do I want to play this?

Well Done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasrobb wrote:

Very different review

Do I want to play this?

Well Done!

If you are wondering that, the answer is probably yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
akinfantryman wrote:
thomasrobb wrote:

Very different review

Do I want to play this?

Well Done!

If you are wondering that, the answer is probably yes!

If you are wondering that, find the right people to play it with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.