Subject: How does it feel to get rid of some of your games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just put 30 games up for auction and so far it feels strangely liberating. I've gone all zen and feel my attachment to worldly goods fading away. I am one with the the randomness of the universe and not chained down by material dross.

No, really, it actually feels ok. (It may help that I'll still have almost 160 games when the auction is over.)

Anyone else get rid of a bunch of games and have a similar feeling? Or do you think I'm crazy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
It always feels liberating to unburden myself of stuff that I have collected, but no longer use.

I was going to sell a bunch of games a few months back, but I didn't want to deal with the stress of it, so I just donated them to a local charity. Not only did that feel liberating, it also felt good to help the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Harvester of eyes, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been getting rid of my games for years. I just keep refilling the game closet with new ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hughes
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I often get a feeling of liberation when shedding my games. I like to keep a steady ticking turnover in my collection so that it feels both fresh and curated. I'm a big fan of owning only things that have meaning or utility. I just wish the rest of my household shared my views :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It always feels good to see open space on my shelves, but it typically doesn't stay empty for long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Earlier this year, over the course of a few months, I rotated some 250 thrifted games back into the charity system, and it felt pretty dang good!

I've also sold 25 or 30 games on my local craigslist in the past year or so, and shared a few games and a lot of cool miscellaneous game bits via the G4GG raffles, and enjoyed it every time any of those things went out the door.

Chez Gambit is still far too cluttered, but it feels awfully good to reduce the clutter and simultaneously let someone else enjoy some of the games and game items that I'm just not going to be using.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The sentimental games are hard to part with, these are ones I bought in the 70's (Microgames) or ones gifted to me... But they all have a price.

Now that I think of it... games are like puppies, they're new and fresh, they get old, they die... then you get a new one!!! (cycle repeats)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like money

(if only to buy more board games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Seeing games I don't like, or never played and don't expect to, on my shelves annoy me; it's like they're a mocking reminder of my bad decisions. So yes, I do like getting rid of games and keeping my collection lean! meeple I haven't yet been put in the situation where I've had to get rid of games I really like, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Pinheiro
Brazil
Recife
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Feels great, I only get rid of games I don't play or don't like enough to keep it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Austin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a super-big collection (by BGG standards), so I haven't felt the need to get rid of any games yet, even though I have a lot that don't get any play. I still like them and like having them. I'm the same with my video games, of which I definitely have more than I can play, and never came close to finishing all the ones from old systems that I still have. But I have gotten rid of books and CDs that I know I'm done listening to or won't ever read again, and that has felt good. I'm sure some day I'll move in that direction with the games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering I sell 75% of my games it's just another normal feeling. I don't like dead weight. I also feel like this thread only exists to advertise your auction yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
Considering I sell 75% of my games it's just another normal feeling. I don't like dead weight. I also feel like this thread only exists to advertise your auction :yuk:

Nonsense! (You wanna buy something?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why hasn't (Pete) chimed in saying you should never get rid of anything? In fact, I'm surprised that everyone so far is in favor of shedding games. Are the pack rats laying low?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Why hasn't (Pete) chimed in saying you should never get rid of anything? In fact, I'm surprised that everyone so far is in favor of shedding games. Are the pack rats laying low?

They're currently buried in games and can't reach their keyboards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JosefK wrote:
They're currently buried in games

Thats how I want to die
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing. Liberating. I never look back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And yes, it is a good feeling (selling games, not being buried under them).

I'm a bit of a magpie, I never throw anything away. So I hung onto a lot of games, thinking I'd feel like playing them, or just the right situation would come up (like a crazed gunman bursting into the games cafe and demanding to play a co-op, real time sci-fi game).

Then, after you sell it, you realise it was no big deal, that its cool that someone else wants it and will play it. And of course, you have some money for it.

I'd like to sell more, when I put a list up, usually at least half doesnt get sold. I think my pricing is good - its just that they arent sought after games. And I'd rather sell face to face (ok, I'm just lazy and I dont want to take stuff to the post office).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
Get rid of games?? I have no idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JosefK wrote:
skutsch wrote:

They're currently buried in games and can't reach their keyboards.

I think secretly everyone likes the idea of shedding some dead weight. Everyone has something that's dead weight.

Andrew (thinks Pete's parenthetical signatures were annoying at first, but now often enlightening)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also - be honest - how many of you sell a game, then when another good game comes up, think "well, I just sold one, so i can get this...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the much needed shelf space feels nice. only get rid of games I no longer want so no sadness in seeing them go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Really the only games I get rid of I trade for more games.

But I have a crap ton of legos I need to get rid of. Contemplating selling a lot of stuff with nostalgia value but I don't actually use. I mostly display and build the star wars sets these days.

(Anyone want some legos?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McMurray

Chickopee
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get rid of things all the time.

There is nothing different feeling about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
The Cubs are playing. Plus I just bought a bunch of stuff from Miniature Market.

Pete (was preoccupied)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.