Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek M
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me preface this by saying I've only played once (about 2 hours ago), so I may be waaaay off base here. However, it's a complaint I've heard/seen in other reviews, and I noticed that I won tonight (48-46) and completed two Good Health (GH) projects whereas my opponent did none (and they were the only two to come out during the game). I also don't see this actually discussed anywhere in the forums as of yet.

Now, below is a picture I took of the projects with GH (on the right/bottom) next to some projects that I think could have GH added to them (on the left/top) with the most likely at the top to least likely at the bottom.

It seems like GHexcept "Spiritual Growth"). That being said, I believe the cards on the left could easily be edited to have GH added while likely nerfing LTH to balance out the rewards, seeing as how several of them are physical, and the others could have the argument made that they help overall cardiovascular health.

I'd love for more input on this, as I'd like to get this game to the table in a couple days for a four player session, and I can already anticipate this being talked about during a post-game review with the players.

Edit: I don't know how to rotate pictures on here, so I apologize for being a technological idiot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Abela
Malta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
So, firstly keep in mind that Good Health isn't as powerful as people seem to think it is, and the lack of cards is intentional. Vangelis put a massive post about this. But I'm going to assume you still want to do this.

So you want to modify the values to keep things balanced. Bear in mind I'm working mostly from memory so I might be wrong in certain details.

The way projects are balanced is that you get a ratio of gain depending on what you put in. Resources count as 1, LTH is 3, and hearts count as 12 I believe.

So essentially you need to strip out the equivalent of '12' rewards and replace it with a heart, and you should have a card which is still balanceish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As Adrian said, Good Health isn't as powerful as people think it is. I think your score is a proof to that. You won by only 2 points despite having 2 of those projects and the opponent having none. If the difference was like 10-15 points, then it would make sense for someone to consider that something was not right, but a difference of just 2 points? It actually adds to the argument that the projects are balanced and you don't need to search the ones with health in order to win.

Of course, the most important thing always is to have fun. If you believe that by changing the cards you will have more fun in your games, then feel free to apply any changes you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I just say how absolutely awesome it is to have BOTH designers respond to my post so quickly? Seriously, I can't think of another hobby where that happens. Also, I hope you two don't think I'm complaining about your game. It really is awesome, and it's actually the first that my wife has played and afterward said she'd really like to play it again (she was even hurrying me along throughout the game because she wanted to take her turns - haha).

Adrian, if hearts count as 12 resources, isn't that pretty powerful? Also, do you know where I can find Vangelis' post about the hearts? I didn't see it.

Vangelis, I think the game is fun how it is. I was just thinking of a why to combat people complaining about the lack of hearts. I guess one could make the argument that if more hearts were added in, a player could monopolize on them and have the least stress possible and end up as a runaway leader. As Adrian said, you have a post about the hearts, so I'd love to read your full opinion.

Side question, what about the possibility of allowing someone to sacrifice LTH to gain a heart to decrease their stress? Obviously, that would need a new action space or something. And I may just be going way out there because you've both said hearts aren't really that important. Just a thought, that's all.

Once again, thanks for the speedy replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Abela
Malta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23465187#23465187

There's the post about the hearts. Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianAbela wrote:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23465187#23465187

There's the post about the hearts. Enjoy.

Well, that puts my ideas to rest. Thanks, guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.