Subject: Standard action to buy a card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
The recent Punching Cardboard podcast talks about Terraforming Earth in depth and they ask why isn't there a standard action project to buy a card. I imagine there is a good answer but I thought it was an interesting question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tucker
msg tools
Their is, on certain cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect BitJam was asking about a "Standard Project" - projects that are always available to all players - rather than actions on specific cards.

I don't have enough experience with the game to know if it would be unbalancing, but have had little to do in some Generations when I would like to have been able to get some more cards with a Standard Project. This is even with drafting.

I don't have an opinion yet if you can make due with what you have, and prevail against other players good draw or not, but a card draw project would help mitigate "bad draw" at least for initial boot-strap purposes. Of course if it is too cheap, some players will only dig until they get a super-combo, which would not be a fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Having a standard action for drawing a card would make the research phase (and draft if you used, hint: it should be) far less critical. It would have to be expensive, and would make very little sense thematically in my opinion.

There are multiple cards that provide such a function, all very thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it was a Standard Project, I could see it dramatically extending the game. In an extreme case players do nothing but, buy cards until all cards in the deck are gone. There is no hand limit to worry about.

It would also take out the dilemma during the Research phase. Why worry about buying cards when you can just take the buy card Standard Project?

Then there is the sell cards Standard Action. You horde the cards from everyone and then sell all you don't want to drop the big cards you do.

There is also the Milemaker to have a hand of 16 or more cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is designed so every player gets access to up to four cards a turn. A standard project isn't needed for game flow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I expect there's a runaway leader / unbalancing factor here. Normally a player passes after running out of money, but it's conceivable that they could run out of playable cards. If you could buy cards there'd be a greater incentive to increase income and then keep taking actions. This could also cause longer downtime for players left behind on income.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:
I expect there's a runaway leader / unbalancing factor here. Normally a player passes after running out of money, but it's conceivable that they could run out of playable cards. If you could buy cards there'd be a greater incentive to increase income and then keep taking actions. This could also cause longer downtime for players left behind on income.

I don't know what I think of purchasing cards. it may work, it may not. To prevent a runaway leader to purchase more cards, you could actually let them pay with TR, maybe even 2 TR per unseen card, which would be the most expensive resource you have in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BitJam wrote:
The recent Punching Cardboard podcast talks about Terraforming Earth in depth and they ask why isn't there a standard action project to buy a card. I imagine there is a good answer but I thought it was an interesting question.
(bold red added by me)
Hasn't mankind been "terraforming Earth" for centuries?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pacemaker 67
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
BitJam wrote:
(bold red added by me)
Hasn't mankind been "terraforming Earth" for centuries?

Unfortunately, I think we humans have been Areoforming Earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiggo Morrison
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
Unfortunately, I think we humans have been Areoforming Earth.

Unless you a convinced Climate-Change sceptic, I think that Veneroforming would be even nearer the mark!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what this would add to the game. The standard projects give things to do if you ever find yourself too low on cards. Also, if you have a bad starting hand, you can draw some cards via the tile placement bonuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.