$20.00
$60.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
40 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mega Civilization» Forums » Organized Play

Subject: Mega Civ. During San Diego Historical Games Convention, Sunday, Nov 13th. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robert white
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Everyone, As the title states, I'll be running a Mega Civ game during the titled convention.

I'm planning on playing a timed game with no mods this year. I've ran two games of the Mega Civ, with the earlier rules set.

I will have prizes for winners, (haven't decided what this will be but last year the Roman era coins seemed to hit the right chord so maybe something along those lines again.)

I'm planning on using the latest official set of rules, which can be found here; http://www.999games.nl/mega-civilization

I'm hoping to get at least 5 obviously but of course we can host as many as we get. Running two separate games won't be possible due to me only having a single copy of the game.

I'll collect preliminary signups here on this thread, plus please feel free to add any comments.

So, look forward to hearing from and playing a round with you and hopefully we can get 5 committed players.

Jeff Lotton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert white
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
First off, here's a link to the con website:

http://www.sdhist.com/

Jeff Lotton

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm totally interested. I've played five times this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Think you can get a full table of 18?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert white
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
grammatoncleric wrote:
I'm totally interested. I've played five times this year.

Great ! I'm hoping for a few players with experience.

I've been skunked once before on low turnout but hopefully this new version of the old classic generates enough interest to avoid that from happening again.

I'll count you in on the preliminary signups, unless you say otherwise.

Jeff Lotton

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert white
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:

I'm terrified of the thought !

I'm doubting it, just hoping for the min of 5 right now so we can get a game going.

Last year we had 6 for AH Adv. Civ, including 2 friends from the Camp Pendleton Game Club and myself. So it's always touch and go.

Hoping for a big turnout, are you planning on attending ?

Jeff Lotton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
testcranker wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

I'm terrified of the thought !

I'm doubting it, just hoping for the min of 5 right now so we can get a game going.

Last year we had 6 for AH Adv. Civ, including 2 friends from the Camp Pendleton Game Club and myself. So it's always touch and go.

Hoping for a big turnout, are you planning on attending ?

Jeff Lotton

I'll be at the con. Undecided on the Civ game at this time. There's 3 weeks to figure it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Barrese
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I am interested in a spot for this. I haven't played MegaCiv, but I'm happy to read the rules beforehand, as long as that is ok with you.

Kenny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
testcranker wrote:

Jeff Lotton

Please and thank you!

Happy to help in whatever way. I am slightly concerned that the time allotment will be insufficient unless you play the shorter game or really limit movement and trading phases, or just call it at 5p and see where everybody lands (that's okay too). MegaCiv is always longer than expected, even though it's fun and goes by really fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in along with two or maybe even three others again this year. I'd love it if we could get more players. Are you going to cap it at something less than 18 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert white
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tecmagus wrote:
Hello,

I am interested in a spot for this. I haven't played MegaCiv, but I'm happy to read the rules beforehand, as long as that is ok with you.

Kenny

Hello and Welcome Kenny !

Beginners are TOTALLY welcome in the game. It's a simple game to play and a very fun social experience in my opinion.

I really appreciate your interest in the rules beforehand, by all means download a copy and dig in, we can discuss any questions you might have here.

Jeff Lotton

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert white
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
grammatoncleric wrote:
testcranker wrote:

Jeff Lotton

Please and thank you!

Happy to help in whatever way. I am slightly concerned that the time allotment will be insufficient unless you play the shorter game or really limit movement and trading phases, or just call it at 5p and see where everybody lands (that's okay too). MegaCiv is always longer than expected, even though it's fun and goes by really fast.

Agreed, my inclination is to simply time limit it and as long as everybody knows ahead time they can tailor their play to match.

5 Minutes has been my default trading phase limit for years now, it's always worked out well.

I've toyed with the idea of the "short game" scenarios but they essentially start in a normal mid game state and move forward and I think that won't shave a lot of time in reality and misses out on some of the fun of the early game expansion. Also it seemed to be more tuned to advanced players which I would like to avoid.

A time limit on movement is a good idea, enforced on a per player basis. I wonder what value to use ? I've got a 3 minute hourglass timer.

Jeff Lotton

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert white
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Unitoch wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in along with two or maybe even three others again this year. I'd love it if we could get more players. Are you going to cap it at something less than 18 players?

Greetings Paul good to know you'll be there again this year.

I haven't seriously considered a player cap, mainly because I've had a rough time getting even 5 to show in the past.

I think the first hurdle is to get more than 8 interested. By rough count at this moment I see somewhere close to that.

Jeff Lotton

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
testcranker wrote:
grammatoncleric wrote:
I am slightly concerned that the time allotment will be insufficient unless you play the shorter game or really limit movement and trading phases, or just call it at 5p and see where everybody lands (that's okay too). MegaCiv is always longer than expected, even though it's fun and goes by really fast.

Agreed, my inclination is to simply time limit it and as long as everybody knows ahead time they can tailor their play to match.

Nice.

Quote:
5 Minutes has been my default trading phase limit for years now, it's always worked out well.

Brutal! I can't imagine the trades I would miss out on by not having minutes 6–10 available to me. Guess I'll have to sink or swim.

To me, the longest part of the game is really in movement because one must arithmetically calculate how many steps each unit can take and what will happen to those units once they arrive.

Quote:
I've toyed with the idea of the "short game" scenarios but they essentially start in a normal mid game state and move forward and I think that won't shave a lot of time in reality and misses out on some of the fun of the early game expansion. Also it seemed to be more tuned to advanced players which I would like to avoid.

I agree with you. Half the fun is in the initial expansion and actually, that really really helps new players learn the game. MegaCiv is unique in that new players can actually learn as they go—or rather, the game can be taught as it is played because new concepts can be introduced a few turns after one another.

Quote:
A time limit on movement is a good idea, enforced on a per player basis. I wonder what value to use ? I've got a 3 minute hourglass timer.

Smartphone—whatever integer number of minutes you desire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grammatoncleric wrote:

I understand the Samsung Note 7 can do percentiles but you must use oven mitts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hankhankhank wrote:
grammatoncleric wrote:

I understand the Samsung Note 7 can do percentiles but you must use oven mitts.

Are you joining, Harold? I remember you last year playing Advanced Civilization, and to that point, I had never played. Now having played MegaCiv, I can't believe what I've been missing all these years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that the convention has a capacity of 150 participants. That means if you manage a nearly full game of MegaCiv, you'll have 10% or more of the convention attendance at your game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grammatoncleric wrote:

Are you joining, Harold? I remember you last year playing Advanced Civilization, and to that point, I had never played. Now having played MegaCiv, I can't believe what I've been missing all these years.

Jeff - I mean robert - runs a great Mega Civ game and his wife is a shark - but I will be busy making sure everyone is having fun so I will miss out Sunday. But he runs them frequently and lives about 10 mins from my house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
I see that the convention has a capacity of 150 participants. That means if you manage a nearly full game of MegaCiv, you'll have 10% or more of the convention attendance at your game...

Are you coming, Becq? We can chat about SeaFall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hankhankhank wrote:
I will be busy making sure everyone is having fun so I will miss out Sunday.

#CulturalAscendancy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert white
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Becq wrote:

Excellent observation, another reason I'm not too concerned about limiting out.

Praying for 5 on gameday, any more is icing on the cake.

Jeff Lotton

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert white
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Right now, I'm set on playing the Eastern map, just because it's new and different. I'm hoping there are no strong objections to this.

Another small dilemma is how to handle the new/revised trade cards. I wish there was an easy way to have them printed on an adhesive label type paper and cover the existing cards with the revisions.

Sounds expensive, I'm wondering how else to handle the revised cards. Any suggestions ?

Jeff Lotton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
testcranker wrote:
Right now, I'm set on playing the Eastern map, just because it's new and different. I'm hoping there are no strong objections to this.

Another small dilemma is how to handle the new/revised trade cards. I wish there was an easy way to have them printed on an adhesive label type paper and cover the existing cards with the revisions.

Sounds expensive, I'm wondering how else to handle the revised cards. Any suggestions ?

Jeff Lotton

Print them onto paper and have them as hand-outs to players as reference material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there are any errata on the trade cards, are there? I'm only familiar with the ones on the advances. At Strategicon up here in LA, the guy running the game has a printed out sheet with the corrected advances there -- the differences are pretty minor. Some clarifications on a couple of the abilities, and some adjusted credits.

I'm all for the Eastern map. I've played it in combination with the Western map several times, but we've never actually used the furthest eastern panel. I'd love to see how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert white
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, meant to say advances, not trade cards.

Both good suggestions. I think what I'm going to do is place the stack of advances on a sheet of paper with the printed image of the latest set of cards.

The instructions to players will be to double check any advances they purchase for accuracy against the printed ones.

It's going to take some table space to pull this off.

Jeff Lotton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.