Subject: First Home Play - 4 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dave evans
United Kingdom
iPSWICH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got this to the table unexpectedly last night, two of us having played one game to completion at Essen with a demonstrator. So we needed to do a bit of punching, we could remember the game pretty well without the rulebook - we did need to check a few things.

After rules, we took maybe 2 hours ... but we were questioning a few things and deliberately extending the game by progressing all three cathedrals - I don't think the game should normally take above 90mins.

I love the theme and mechanics and two of us really enjoyed the game. One of our four was a little disappointed that the scores were so close at the end, considering that some seemed to be playing more successfully than others. Does that mean there is too much random?

Certainly there is random. I spent most of the game closest to hell but came through narrowly at the end having one more set than the others. And that in part due to good fortune with which Cathedral finished first and matched well with my fairly meagre donations. One of us donated over 50 money to the second cathedral for no concomitant reward.

But - I'll get this game out again in a heartbeat as soon as my friends want to play it. Some strategy, some luck with the cards, a measure of take that, and lots of potential for laughter (like every time the Pope announces he has an 'urgent appointment' and we all discuss which room in the house of pleasure he's sidled off to!).

My tip: Don't forget to lay out initial bonuses during setup (we did). Remember the rule of thumb that all decisions, ties and moves rule in favour of the poor soul closest to hell (that will save some rulebook checking).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Neale
United Kingdom
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
droogiefret wrote:

After rules, we took maybe 2 hours ... but we were questioning a few things and deliberately extending the game by progressing all three cathedrals - I don't think the game should normally take above 90mins.

I would just like to explain that the reason I started the 3rd cathedral was not to extend the length of the game but to give me a chance to place some donations.
I think this is a cracking game and agree that it should run in 90 minutes with players who have played before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you find the power of the merchant overpowered?
That was the outcome of our first and only play. Actually I don't agree, but the other three players did.

I also see that without it there could be neverending turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Neale
United Kingdom
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faso74it wrote:
Did you find the power of the merchant overpowered?
That was the outcome of our first and only play. Actually I don't agree, but the other three players did.

I also see that without it there could be neverending turns.

The merchant could possibly have a powerful round IF a lot of grey cubes a drawn at the start and he can just keep picking one up. If the resource cubes are in multiples then Greed kicks in a players buy 2 a time and that reduces the merchants power considerably. Also he doesn't get a free early bonus action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The power of the characters highly depend on the situation. If the pope is able to stack a third stone onto a Den of Sind, the Emperor able to finish this OR that cathedral ...
Also, if a charcter is powerful in a given situation, well, let the players bid for it - this can weaken the power a lot. I have seen several sessions, where people had their favourite characters more often, but the investment necessary was really questionable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave evans
United Kingdom
iPSWICH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the characters are well balanced. Yes, the merchant gets a free resource - but he's getting third pick - by which time the petty thief will have already snuck into the house of pleasure to grab the best on offer there (the indulgence?), and the emperor could have been to the market, greedily bought two resources and donated them both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.