1 , 2  Next »   | 

Twilight Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: How's the board quality? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: deluxemap [+] gmt [+] [View All]
Ken Shin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading reviews on Command and Colors: Ancients and there are lots of complaints about the board quality.

Since GMT makes that game as well as TS, I'm wondering if TS owners have had the same problems with the TS board.

The main issue was the board was rather thin and that it didn't lay flat on the table.

In other words, how does TS map compare with the map from Command and Colors: Ancients?

These would be major issues for me and since I'm in no hurry to buy a game, I am willing to wait (if GMT is planning to release a newer edition).

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle has a board that is heavier in stock than C&C Ancients. It definitely has tenting issues so you are better off using plexiglass if you can.

GMT just released TS 2nd edition and I think the board remains the same (apart from some graphic adjustments).

But, this game is far superior to C&C as a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plexiglass anyone?

These maps are the highest quality you are likely to see from GMT. All their other non-deluxe maps are paper.

You are paying for research not for a thin theme wrapped around some old game mechanics. These games are exciting because of the content, not because the bits are nice.

If you are willing to spend just a few dollars on a standard size piece of plexiglass, you can enjoy these games to your heart's content.

I wonder what you would say about Case Blue from MMP? Around $200 for some square cardboard counters and paper maps? Now, development time is probably 10,000 times more than anything from FFG.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1473730#1473730
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a poster frame for mine and keep it in there all the time. I have several games mounted like this and they are readily accessable whenever I'm ready to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the right counter-bending, I've never had problems getting my TS board to lay flat.

But the suggestions of plexiglass or putting the map in a poster frame are great for extra insurance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Plexiglass is the way to go. When you put it under plexiglass, the map looks beautiful. Don't skip this game just because you're not used to paper maps. It's an amazing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmb
Quote:
Twilight Struggle has a board that is heavier in stock than C&C Ancients.

Hmm, perhaps you're referring to a version I'm unacquainted with, but in my C & C (1st ed.) and TS (2nd ed.), the boards are made of the same stock -- thicker than plain paper but still easy to rip and hard to lay flat. GMT refers to them as deluxe boards.

Ken, if you decide to get this wonderful game, I would recommend getting some plexiglass as well (available at Home Depot). While you're at it, you might as well get some card sleeves, card holders, and a Plano storage box for the counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have TS and the board is fine. 10 seconds of counter flexing and it lays properly flat.

Like it or not, companies like GMt simply do not have the reserve financing to do big print runs of full hardboards for games. Consequently if the had done TS with a hard board the price would probably have been $15 more.

I'll take the cardstock board and a well designed and researched game for the current price anyday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akiva
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Joel. We broke out a 2nd printing tonight and after a little counter-flexing we had absolutely no problems.

Fantastic game, too, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
I don't own it, but I played someone else's copy (the first edition) and the board didn't lay flat. Also, the creases for the folds stick up a fair bit.

Ditto. We ended up playing with a sheet of acrylic glass (Plexiglas/Acrylite) to hold it all down.

A nice game board would do wonders for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E J
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:

Like it or not, companies like GMt simply do not have the reserve financing to do big print runs of full hardboards for games.

And it shows. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My buddy and I played our first game with my copy on Tuesday night. The sum total of the conversation about the board was as follows:

me: "Hm, do you have a couple heavy things to hold it down here and here?"
him: "Let's try counter-flexing it a bit."
me: "nice, that worked like a charm."

And off we went to enjoy the game...I don't imagine it will come up as a topic again.

*shrug*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with above, counter bending allows the board to lay flat, no problem. Only two incredibly minor gripes, since you're asking. 1) With my copy, the seem between Central and South America has a tendency to open up, so there is sometimes a small gap in this section of the board. Does not affect play. 2) The seem that runs down Africa runs right through the stability number of South Africa. If you're sitting at the right angle, you can misinterpret the stability number as something other than "3". Once you recognize that, it's never a problem.

It's a nice looking board, and plexi does make it shiny and even better. Out of all the games I play, this one gets the most onlookers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really happy that the companies such as GMT do not take to heart the complaints about unmounted mapboards, because that would most likely mean economics would simply force them to not come out with games such as Twilight Struggle.

For those of you who have some aversion to coughing up ten or twelve bucks for a piece of plexiglass - if you get to pick only one, what do you want, fewer choices in games all with mounted boards, or more choices in games, some without mounted boards?

And even if every, single other game you own has a mounted board, I think you'd be surprised how handy that plexiglass still is - covering up the dreaded "valleys" found on the folds of mounted boards, and keeping stains and spills off your mounted boards.

At first my wife frowned about putting plexiglass down, but now that she's seen how much gamenight crap it keeps off the table, she's glad I use it - friends who forget to use a drink coaster, and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:

I wonder what you would say about Case Blue from MMP? Around $200 for some square cardboard counters and paper maps?

I'd say that's overpriced by too wide of a margin to even begin to calculate the percentage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dumont Claude
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you put a plexiglass on the board it's OK because it doesn't lay flat on the table on it's own. Still, I would make two hard mounted board that can be tied together by a puzzle like machanism. I think it would give that game a tremendous look. I would also make the badges hard mouted. My two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the board, either. The quality wouldn't bother me so much, except the price is comparable to a game like Arkham Horror, but the quality of the components is a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dumont Claude
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaleljorson7 wrote:
I don't like the board, either. The quality wouldn't bother me so much, except the price is comparable to a game like Arkham Horror, but the quality of the components is a joke.

Damn wright. Could have said better. Although the cards are quite nice and of good quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disliked the board so much that I made a new one out of human hair. Its much nicer, lays flat...unless its fairly humid, and evokes the "red scare" theme very nicely.

I've bought many games with large print runs and mounted boards....which had horrible rules glitches or dull unimaginative gameplay. I tend to pay more attention to how tense and exciting the game is than how thick the board is. The card-stock board is easily fully functional. I've used both plexiglass and without....and its a non-issue.

If a person wants to find a reason not to buy/play this game, just pick one. But to deprive yourself of such a unique and immersive game because of such a nit-picky pet peeve seems masochistic.

Now, the screw-ups on the first edition print run are another matter....but those have been well-documented and repaired in the reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ramis wrote:
Kaleljorson7 wrote:

Damn wright. Could have said better. Although the cards are quite nice and of good quality.

Looking PURELY at the game design, research and playtesting....Arkham Horror is completely outclassed. Seems like a better place to put your emphasis to me. But I realize lots of people would rather play AH. Just not me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
Now, the screw-ups on the first edition print run are another matter....but those have been well-documented and repaired in the reprint.

The "People's Replublic of China" bothers me, but there's no way I would replace my 1st edition board with 2nd edition. I'd miss "Chili" too much! Mmmmmm, Chili.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Abrahamse
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
Tompy wrote:

I wonder what you would say about Case Blue from MMP? Around $200 for some square cardboard counters and paper maps?

$20 seems a good price for a wargame with 1 mapsheet, 1 countersheet, and a 24 page rulebook. Since Case Blue has 10 mapsheets, 13 countersheets, and 288 pages of rules, $200 seems fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff wrote:
cornjob wrote:

The "People's Replublic of China" bothers me, but there's no way I would replace my 1st edition board with 2nd edition. I'd miss "Chili" too much! Mmmmmm, Chili.

I want my baby-back, baby-back, baby-back....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Mmmm...hair board...

I must get this game! - by trading for Cornjob's copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E J
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaleljorson7 wrote:

Perfectly said. If it wasnt for TIMEWELLSPENT'S pricing, I would not have bought it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.