$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » Rules

Subject: No 'Must' equals optional? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oran Barraclough
Australia
Windang
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmb
Haven't got the game yet but trying to get my head around the rules so I can hit the ground running when the day fi ally arrives. The only thing I am not certain on is - if the command card does not say you MUST do the action, is it optional?

Thanks
O
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oranjb wrote:
Haven't got the game yet but trying to get my head around the rules so I can hit the ground running when the day fi ally arrives. The only thing I am not certain on is - if the command card does not say you MUST do the action, is it optional?

Thanks
O


No, you must do every action at the current level of the command. So a level 2 skewer must move the full two spaces and can't be skipped if you don't feel like moving.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oran Barraclough
Australia
Windang
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmb
Awesome thanks Chris for the speedy response! I read somewhere that an FAQ will be posted somewhere to assist with any other questions I might have?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Allen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Oranjb wrote:
Awesome thanks Chris for the speedy response! I read somewhere that an FAQ will be posted somewhere to assist with any other questions I might have?


Its already posted http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/featured/mechs-vs-minions. Just scroll down to the bottom and press "Gameplay Questions."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mathew
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Oranjb wrote:
Awesome thanks Chris for the speedy response! I read somewhere that an FAQ will be posted somewhere to assist with any other questions I might have?


I believe you can find that at the bottom of this page by opening the "Gameplay Questions?" option.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/featured/mechs-vs-minions
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oran Barraclough
Australia
Windang
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:
Oranjb wrote:
Haven't got the game yet but trying to get my head around the rules so I can hit the ground running when the day fi ally arrives. The only thing I am not certain on is - if the command card does not say you MUST do the action, is it optional?

Thanks
O


No, you must do every action at the current level of the command. So a level 2 skewer must move the full two spaces and can't be skipped if you don't feel like moving.

I heard that I might be able to ask for erratas like these and in the rule books that will be in future prints as an update to my wave 1 game. Do I just contact customer service and have them ship the updated stuff to my house? Is it even true in the first place?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This should not be an errata.

A 'must' qualifier would only be necessary if there was any optionality in the rules that a "must" would cancel.

In this case programmed actions are mandatory per basic rules, and would need a "may" if the action were optional by exception.

Otherwise it is defensive language better removed.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eldaec wrote:
This should not be an errata.

A 'must' qualifier would only be necessary if there was any optionality in the rules that a "must" would cancel.

In this case programmed actions are mandatory per basic rules, and would need a "may" if the action were optional by exception.

Otherwise it is defensive language better removed.

They don't need to add "must" to all the other lines, but then the errata should be removing "must" from the first line. It's all about consistency, when you have one somewhere but not elsewhere, it creates confusion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not an error, so it doesn't require errata. Yes, the 'You must turn 90 degrees' on Fuel Tank doesn't need the 'You must' part, but that doesn't make it wrong that it is there.

Yes, it may have been slightly less confusing for the instruction to be 'Turn 90 degrees', but most people will have read the rule that you must implement every slot and understand there is no difference in this case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
It's not an error, so it doesn't require errata. Yes, the 'You must turn 90 degrees' on Fuel Tank doesn't need the 'You must' part, but that doesn't make it wrong that it is there.

Yes, it may have been slightly less confusing for the instruction to be 'Turn 90 degrees', but most people will have read the rule that you must implement every slot and understand there is no difference in this case.


Right. Just keep in mind that if it says it on the card, it is required, and you are set.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, none of this is NECESSARY, the online FAQ clears up all these things we just talked about. There's a good number of little things like this though and having the game be clear about these things as opposed to having to go online is always nice though. The fact that future versions are going to be updated to clear this up is telling that no, the rules aren't as flawless as you claim and if they went without changing a thing, these questions would just keep coming back up again and again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When officially determining errata for a game, you typically wouldn't fix something like that. You only fix it when there is something wrong or highly confusing. Nothing of the sort exists for this card.

One main reason why you don't fix what isn't broken is simply the cost. It is not effective to fix something that is already fine in its current iteration.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But it's not fine in it's current iteration. This question has been brought up several times and it's just barely hitting the market. You might be able to assume what they meant, but the unnecessary information in the phrasing is a contradiction to the lack of that phrasing later. Any magic player sees this and they immediately think the optionalness has changed, that's the entire reason someone made this thread. It's not the biggest issue in the world, but you can't tell me everything is perfect when you're in a thread created because of the problem in question.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmine Migliore
United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
powermad wrote:
But it's not fine in it's current iteration. This question has been brought up several times and it's just barely hitting the market. You might be able to assume what they meant, but the unnecessary information in the phrasing is a contradiction to the lack of that phrasing later. Any magic player sees this and they immediately think the optionalness has changed, that's the entire reason someone made this thread. It's not the biggest issue in the world, but you can't tell me everything is perfect when you're in a thread created because of the problem in question.


I back you. In our game one of the player was hardly arguing that since on the top action there was a MUST while on the middle and bottom actions there was no MUST, these were optional.

Cards had to be written better. I would have done like this

You MUST:
Action 1 - benefit
Action 2 - benefit
Action 3 - benefit
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.