10 Posts

Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » General

Subject: Any reason to get base game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tan Song
msg tools
Hi all,

I'm planning to jump into the Dow series. Thinking whether to get the long night or the base game (I may get the other one at some point in time, if I like it)

Was hoping to get some advice on which is better to get for starters? My thinking right now is that long night would be better, because of the additional modules (extra value) and better components overall.

From what I've read peoples'gripes with the expansion lie mostly in the variant, which is a risk I'm willing to take since if I can just don't use them if I don't like them. Whereas if I go for the base game I would not even have the option of trying the variants out.

What do you guys think?

PS. As an interesting aside, i was actually debating between betrayal at house on the hill and Dow, but eventually decided to get both. I'm new to the hobby and an currently going through the phase of "buy everything that looks interesting "- hopefully this won't be a cause for regret haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
The game is good and it deserves a play.
The long night has the extra modules that's true but it has a bit less of everything else: less crossroads, less characters, less scenarios, etc.
No changes where the number has to be precise (I.e. Location cards)

I think your reasoning is correct. With the long night you can always exclude the 2 modules but not the other way around.

I would suggest the base game only if you already know the modules would't appeal you as you get more for the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More, different characters, different scenarios, different secret objectives, different crossroads cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THSong wrote:
i was actually debating between betrayal at house on the hill and Dow, but eventually decided to get both.

Spoken as a true BGGeek. Welcome to the club

And remember, anytime you'll ask whether to buy this or that, you'll end up buying both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I love DoW and really like both sets. Generally speaking you can't go wrong with either and if you love the game, you will probably want both sets anyway. However, in my own personal opinion, the base game is better because I believe the inclusion of more characters and more main objectives will provide much more replay value over time than the modules.

The modules are cool and add variety to the main objectives...but it doesn't change the fact that you will still playing the same few main objectives over and over. And so far I personally don't think that what the modules add really changes the overall "feel" of the objectives? It certainly adds cool things and challenges and variety and changes to the metagame, but ultimately what you are playing and doing is still trying to beat those main missions. And I wonder if people who only have TLN will tire of seeing the same few missions played over and over, regardless of what the modules adds. Especially since if you play 4 or 5 p, you will pretty much be playing with more than half of the characters in any given game.

Honestly, both are great and you can't go wrong with either. However, if I'm being perfectly honest and a little nitpicky, I think there is still more replayability overall in DoW base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tan Song
msg tools
Mools wrote:
And I wonder if people who only have TLN will tire of seeing the same few missions played over and over, regardless of what the modules adds.

Thats an interesting perspective! Is it common for people to get tired of the missions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
On the surface, the expansion has everything from the base, plus more, but I think the survivors in the base game are better. At least the feel like it. More searchers. Weaker offensively. Also I've struggled to find a mission in the expansion that plays well as a 2-player coop, so I'm going to say the balance of missions is better in the base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THSong wrote:
Mools wrote:
And I wonder if people who only have TLN will tire of seeing the same few missions played over and over, regardless of what the modules adds.

Thats an interesting perspective! Is it common for people to get tired of the missions?

I don't know if getting tired is the correct term. More like, if you really like the game and will play it somewhat regularly, you are going to want more missions. The main objectives are what do the most to change the tone and feel of the game. Are you going to have to run around killing zombies? Are you desperately just trying to survive a certain number of rounds? Are you collecting and stockpiling items, etc. This combined with the characters (and the meta game between players) is what adds the most bang for your buck, I personally believe.

The base game comes with 10 objectives listed short, medium or long. It also has 30 different characters to chose from.

TLN comes with 8 main objective cards, but only 7 main objectives. And I strongly feel that 2 of those will only be played once by most people because they are designed more as a teaching aid for Raxxon/bandits for brand new players. I don't think it will offer much to players who know how to play already because you will want to have those modules in the game, fully used, right away. The intro missions slowly easy is/teach you how to introduce them. So I would argue there is actually only 5 mission objectives you will want to play. And if you don't have 3 hours or more to play the long missions, that further limits what you have to chose from.

TLN also comes with only 20 characters. They are all cool characters, but if you play the game regularly, you will notice there are some that are "must pick" and others rarely get chosen. And if you play regularly with 4 or 5 players, you will likely see most of the characters regularly in play every game.

I know when DoW first came out and a number of people were playing it a lot. Within a month they were talking about how much they want to see new characters, new objectives to come out and expand the game. I'm not sure if the modules of TLN makes up for that lack of main missions. Maybe I'm wrong though?

I don't want to come across as discouraging people not to buy TLN if they want it. I love DoW and while I would have preferred smaller expansions rather than the stand alone concept they went with. But I'm very impressed by TLN and love how it has really opened up the DoW world I already loved. So having more content and the freedom to mix and match and create the game experience I want is pretty incredible. But I think that is the catch in talking about TLN. I wonder if the people who say, "TLN has way more stuff overall so if you only buy 1 copy of the game, this is the one!" actually believe that or if they are looking at it like I do...as someone who owns and loves the base game and are amazed at how much more this adds.

My apologies for such a long, rambling answer. I guess the short version is, if you think DoW is a game you and your group will enjoy, EITHER set is good. They are much more alike in experience than different I think. However, I think if ONLY owning 1 single set is likely, DoW MAY be slightly better choice due to more main objectives and more characters arguably having more replay value than the modules. That's my opinion and I can't guarantee that to be true though. I know my plan was to ONLY play TLN a number of times before trying to mix the two sets. I started mixing after only two games and after 3 or 4 just threw everything together. Because I think having both provides the best, more customizeable experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mools wrote:
Lots of good stuff

Spot on!

My quick take on the difference between the two versions:

Base is brutally difficult and offers more replayability (due to more characters, more objectives, more difficulty resulting in losses). You earn every victory.

TLN is less difficult and requires traitors to actively win the game, as opposed to the colony losing due to the crises cards and the traitor passively winning by default. The colony has won 4/4 times for my group, but it didn't feel as epic as it did when playing the base game.

Disclaimer: We had one betrayer in the base game (out of 3 plays) and one betrayer in TLN (out of 4 plays), and each time the main objective and the character draws meant that the betrayer was never going to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Zeliec
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I personally bought both games! This is what I did to PIMP my game up:

1) Removed Raxxion, Improvements and Bandits and all crossroads, chars or ingame things that these guys would use.. (occasionally we use the bandits cuz it's just the best one out of the addons)

2) Play the betrayer variant as instructed to ensure higher chances of a betrayer, my custom rule - at 2 non betrayer exiles the betrayer automatically wins.

3) Combine: Characters, Crossroads, Crisis cards.

4) Do not combine: Location item decks, Secret objectives. I don't combine the secret objectives just because there is a slight color variation and that can ruin the game, otherwise I'm all up for it as well, for the rest of the things such as Xroads or characters, it's not a game changer as we draw characters by saying a number (between 3 and 10) and dealing that card, counting from the top.

5) Exiled player secret objectives are also combined to have a bigger variety, TLN is pretty poor there...

Looking forward to: I would really love to find a harder, play tested variant with the combined location decks, that make the game more challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.