$30.00
Tom Tremblay
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb

If you are playing 1-2 heroes, the rulebooks say that instead of drawing an epic threat card, draw a high threat for balancing purposes.

Sadly if you run 2 hero missions you don't really get to see some of the cool boss enemies (Goliath Harbinger) or those sweet expansion bosses you purchased (Burrower, Sand Kraken). It's a cryin shame, as epic fights are....epic.

I was trying to think of a way to include these bosses in the 1-2 hero posse spectrum.
take off some health? No elite abilities? higher to hit rolls?

Just opening it up to the community.

Initially I didn't see that rule and was fighting epic threats with 2 heroes and getting crushed in the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
wait til level 2,and then 2-shot them...?!?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
The calvary / sheriff's deputies finally arrive and now there are 3 or more heroes fighting the Epic Threat (although the loot draw is only for two heroes.) Generate one or more heroes appropriate to the posse's level with town location equipment (basic pistol, shotguns, etc.) Each deputy has a whiskey and bandage on their personal for their own use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea! Now I'm thinking about getting some ACW plastic soldiers and painting them up. If we get stuck in a totally hopeles situation... The cavalry arrives!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The harvester enemies have a "weakened" variant for 1-2 players on the threats, which I think equates to half health and double loot. That might be a place to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have often pointed out, this game is so sandbox-y that you can really do whatever you want. Too hard? Draw lower threats. Too easy? Draw higher threats or add more elite abilities.

So, if you feel like you can take on an elite threat with 2 heroes, go for it! At lower levels, you might need to reduce health or defense a bit on them, but overall I think it should be do-able.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Parker
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I run solo games and just use 3 heroes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think someone else mentioned it, but just wait to toss them in until the heroes have powered up a bit. They are murder on starting heroes, but heroes power up a lot and the monsters don't always keep up well.

If you wanted to play it safe, what about introducing the epic threats at level 4 but just using the Normal card side for the big monsters (Harbringer for example) at first, and then switching to the Brutal side at level 6 (or something like that)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rcket scientst
msg tools
Allies count, so bring along some fodder, um, henchmen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever played two player Shadows of Brimstone, and our posse stuck with the High Threats instead of Epic up until Level 4. Once you hit Level 4 even a two character Posse is sufficiently powered up to more than justify facing Medium and Epic Threats, instead of Low and High Threats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Solan wrote:
I've only ever played two player Shadows of Brimstone, and our posse stuck with the High Threats instead of Epic up until Level 4. Once you hit Level 4 even a two character Posse is sufficiently powered up to more than justify facing Medium and Epic Threats, instead of Low and High Threats.

I came here to say this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Keetlaer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook, page 28 left wrote:
Of course, if you are ambitious, you can use Epic Threats anyway, but you have been waned!

So there's nothing, rules wise, that stops you from using Epic Threats when venturing out with a 1-2 Hero Posse.

But I would indeed wait until my osse were a little tougher (higher level).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cooperton wrote:
Solan wrote:

I came here to say this.

Me too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.