Subject: Two Player All Cards Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We found this variant to be slightly more interesting than the official 2 player game. It makes use of all the card deck types.

The rules are as per the normal 3+ player game except:

Hero Cards

At the start of each Thantos battle randomly choose 2 heroes from the 6 heroes available. The first player to pass can now get a 1 to 5 point advantage (if Nestor (6) and Patroclus (1) are chosen). This adds to the challenge of deciding when to pass and when to continue in the battle.

Oracle Cards - Battle Types

Randomly choose 6 of the 8 Oracle Battle Type cards at the start of the game. The game ends when one player has 12 Victory Points or the sixth battle is completed. This can makes the game quicker and less repetitive as both Gorgon and Thantos battles are available in an unknown mix which adds some intrigue.

Victory Cards

Randomly select two Victory cards for each battle. The winner of the battle can choose from either of the two Victory cards. The remaining Victory Card is discarded.

Note: Players that pass can not re-enter the game as permitted in the official 2 player game.

Hope you enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Summertime is Christmas time
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work!

I assume the loser of a Thanatos siege takes the Thanatos (-VP) card?

Just to mention another thread suggested, instead of drawing 3 new cards after each siege, draw 5 and keep 3, which sounds like a nice idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:

I assume the loser of a Thanatos siege takes the Thanatos (-VP) card?

Yes, otherwise there may not be enough of an incentive to avoid defeat by either player.

manukajoe wrote:

Just to mention another thread suggested, instead of drawing 3 new cards after each siege, draw 5 and keep 3, which sounds like a nice idea.

Sounds interesting.

We are currently playing Lords of Scotland a lot, which is another battle game that is worth checking out.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Summertime is Christmas time
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steve

We played a couple of games of this last night, with your above variants. The card drafting variant was also good.

The game didn't seem to work too well, with the start player winning each game easily. Maybe we just don't understand the strategy, but it sure isn't obvious. Maybe thinking of it as an auction game would help, trying to judge how many cards you're willing to spend to win this many victory points, and then overlay the tactical card play on top of that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Simon,

I think it helps if you build up big combinations for the rounds where there is a 3-5 point advantage to the winner and use the small scoring rounds for collecting cards. This will tend to be more successful over many rounds. I do think it needs at least 3 players to work well though.

LOS definitely works very well as a 2 player game, offers more varied choices and is simpler to pick up.

But I'm glad to own both.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.