Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
In the previous version of the BGG game pages, when becoming a particular board game's fan, a window would pop up and I was allowed to enter some comments about the game. This function seems to have been removed with the new version of the BGG game page.

I just became a fan of Sekigahara. I like to enter some comments whenever I become a particular board game's fan and hope this functionality can be revived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeoster wrote:
In the previous version of the BGG game pages, when becoming a particular board game's fan, a window would pop up and I was allowed to enter some comments about the game. This function seems to have been removed with the new version of the BGG game page.

I just became a fan of Sekigahara. I like to enter some comments whenever I become a particular board game's fan and hope this functionality can be revived.

I see you have written a comment for Sekigahara, which shows up both in your collection and in the 'Ratings and Comments' section on the game page. I've never registered as a 'fan' for a game so I know nothing about it - are you saying it used to have its own comment field, separate from the regular one?

To be honest, I can't see the point of multiple comment fields for a game. It's not like there's a size limitation in the regular comment field; you can write anything you want there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I see you have written a comment for Sekigahara, which shows up both in your collection and in the 'Ratings and Comments' section on the game page. I've never registered as a 'fan' for a game so I know nothing about it - are you saying it used to have its own comment field, separate from the regular one.

Yes, that's what I meant. See the following links:

https://boardgamegeek.com/fan/user/Yeoster?subtype=boardgame

https://boardgamegeek.com/fans/thing/25021

For the second link, scroll down and you can see that the "older" fans are able to enter some simple comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He sweetened his game with aspartame and an overgrown sign pointed the way to
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
Sphere wrote:
To be honest, I can't see the point of multiple comment fields for a game. It's not like there's a size limitation in the regular comment field; you can write anything you want there.

I think it was part of the general functionality for fandom; you can also be a fan of designers and publishers, which cannot otherwise be rated or commented on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

Indeed, I'm not seeing why I'd want to write a second/different comment with my "fanning" of a game; wouldn't you pretty much say the same thing in both comments (i.e. why you like the game, etc)?

If BGG used to show a comment in the list of fans, why not simply show that user's "normal" comment about the game? Would that work?

PS: I'm surprised that list of fans doesn't show each fan's rating for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
Sphere wrote:

I think it was part of the general functionality for fandom; you can also be a fan of designers and publishers, which cannot otherwise be rated or commented on.

I see that as a better argument for adding a regular comment field for designers and publishers than one in favor of having a redundant comment field for games.

I suspect the reason this hasn't been done is that having a general comment field for designers and publishers would lead inevitably to users with an axe to grind writing inflammatory things about specific designers and/or publishers. Tying the field to fandom provides a rose-colored glasses filter that spares Octavian a lot of added workload.

Bottom line, I both see why it was done this way in the first place and solidify my determination to ignore the fan feature completely. If people want to read and contribute to a dedicated field for happy face comments that's fine by me. I'll stick to the unfiltered game comments and form my opinions about designers and publishers the old fashioned way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
shake There were 'predominantly' "No comment" anyways, so, only 'moi' had MOST 'diverses'. Usually, this stood in LIEU for any 'rating' & "purchase"-dating. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
whistle "forlorn languish BUMP"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.