AssassinCon» Forums » General

Subject: Want to make sure i understand the concept of this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going through the rules and i was trying to piece together how one can reach the point where they think they know what player is what colour.

At the start of the game everyone passes their target card to the left. Thos would mean that now everybody at the table knows what colour the person on their right side is correct? This must be true because every player is giving their own target card to somebody... So if i received the red target card from the person on my right, then i now know he is the red player.

Lets say i kill the red player at some point during the round. I discard his target card and now i know the identity of the person sitting to the right of the red player, correct?

Now in the next round we flip our 1/2 cards and take the target card from the person on the opposite side of us... That would be another person whose identity is revealed to us correct? How many identities do you usully learn in a round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Peterson

Layton
Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, at the beginning of the game and every round each player knows the identity of the player that gave them thier target card.

Correct, if you eliminate your Target, you acquire your eliminated Targets, Target card.

At the beginning of the next round all players return their cards and get new cards and a new identity. You shuffle decks and get a new Identitiy and a new Target between rounds. Therefore, in the next round every player has a new Identity to learn.

To answer your question, how many identities do you usually learn in one round? Is equal how many people you eliminate, 2-3 if you are a good Assassin. You get 1 point when you eliminate 1 player. First player to score 5 points wins. Games usually last 2-4 rounds.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally forgot about switching identity decks every round.

Why do you rotate the elimination cards halfway so that the 2 & 1 switch directions each round? If everyone gets a new identity then what dofference does it make if you leave the eliminated cards in the same position for every round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Peterson

Layton
Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference is very minor. It is to break up the subtle strategy of how one player plays the game versus a different player. The board was well designed by Binh Vo and there are subtle strategic decisions about where and when to move on the board.

The best part about board games is house rules. If you don't see the point you don't have to flip the cards and everyone can continue to target and be pursued by the same person round after round.

Happy Hunting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am ok with rotating the card. I just wondered if this was a rule that was essential to follow or not.

I think i understand the game now. Im really looking forward to getting it out to a games night. I think my group will have a good time with it. I find these kinds of games really confusing to learn from a manual. Im a more hands on learner so i need to see it in action to really understand. I read the rules like 3-4 times and they are pretty well written. It should be easy to get people playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Peterson

Layton
Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy this game. I think your group will really like it.

I love the simple interface between the players and the game. A,B,C is easy and elegant! But the room your in when you play card A,B,C makes the game strategic and a very cool game.

When Binh Vo the designer was describing it to me it was hard to grasp the game. It took a few plays before I fully understood the game. It was difficult to teach others too.

I made a couple of graphic design decisions to make the game a little smoother to teach and understand. It was the most difficult rule book that I have ever worked on. In the end we did not use the rule book I wrote, and we used a much better rule book written by Ian Zang.

Don't forget to Call Guards, it is a risky! But 2 points in one shot is awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Tom Vassel's review of this game he said he would have liked there to be a different map on the reverse side of the board. was there a reason you didn't do that? I haven't played the game yet so I don't know if having two maps would improve the game or not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Peterson

Layton
Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally there wasn't a board just room cards with icons how they connected.

We didn't even think about a different layout on the back of the board. It is a great idea and I wish we could go back in time....

Hindsight is 20/20!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always design them as pdf files and sell them cheap. Or have available for free download. I think the board wqs a good move. Room cards doesnt look or sound as appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.