Subject: New edition compared to Incan Gold? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Siel Oren
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
never played any of these versions,
would love to hear what is the best, gameplay wise, art and component quality and so forth.
thank you!

btw it is available at 365games as of now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gameplaywise, they pretty much have the same rules, or at least can be played with the same rules (Artifacts or relics mixed it all at the start vs one per round).

Component wise....

- Incan Gold has rectangular cards and Diamant has square cards. Incan Gold might be a bit easier to tell which type of card has just come out - bad things have a red border, good things have a blue or yellow border), but it's much of a muchness. The Diamant cards have nice art, and are very clear.
- Incan Gold has folded cardboard tents and Diamant has thick cardboard chests. Diamant probably a bit nicer.
- Incan Gold stay/go cards can be a bit confusing as to which is stay and which is gold. Diamant is clearer in this regard
- Diamant includes meeples for indicating whether you've gone or are still in, or for use as an alternate stay/go mechanism (I prefer to use the meeple method to indicate in or out, it's much less ambiguous). Incan Gold has no meeples, but it's not hard to put substitutes in the box.
- Incan Gold has cards to indicate the round, Diamant has smaller cardboard tokens. Much of a muchness, but Diamant takes up less space.
- Diamant has a small board to store the deck and indicate the round, Incan Gold does not. This does not really affect the game.
- Incan Gold has 3 colours of plastic gems (green/black/yellow) and Diamant has two (clear/red). Diamant probably looks a bit nicer.
- Incan Gold box is slightly smaller, and rectangular. Diamant is a small square box that's a little larger in each dimension than the IG one.

Both are IMO great versions of a great game. I own both, but if I had to own just one, I'd probably go with Diamant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siel Oren
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you for the in depth answer!
are there character cards in any of the versions?
haven't found any in the gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both games actually. I haven't been able to look into Diamant with great detail but I did buy it because I liked the look better.

There are no character cards. The boxes used to store your gems are different colours, as are the meeples, but that's it.

As I am used to Incan Gold and the cards, I think I'll use the meeples to track people going into the temples. Moving them along the path of cards or back out to the camp. I think that would be a neat visual representation of what is happening and a quick way to see how many are still in a round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
much of a muchness

I had never heard this phrase before, I had to look it up ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
losfp wrote:
much of a muchness

Curious. Perhaps it's a phrase used by the English. It's commonly understood here in Australia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those interested I uploaded some photo, to the games gallery, comparing the editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, in incan gold the colors just represent quantity. Like 1s 5s and 10s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
William Hunt wrote:
it's a pitty that they decided for just 2 different kinds of loot (diamonds) in the new Diamant version compared to 3 different kind in Incan Gold, does'n that effect game play?

No not really. The loot types are 1, 5 and 10 (in Incan Gold). Having the 10 can be nice when you "chip up" but it's not a game breaking or game changing exclusion.

The original Diamant (which came before Incan Gold) had only the 2 colours as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
William Hunt wrote:
it's a pitty that they decided for just 2 different kinds of loot (diamonds) in the new Diamant version compared to 3 different kind in Incan Gold, does'n that effect game play?

Not really. I found with most games of Incan Gold, you could even get by just using the 1s and 5s. I've not run out of gems for either game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Edwards
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
losfp wrote:
much of a muchness

Curious. Perhaps it's a phrase used by the English. It's commonly understood here in Australia.

Yep, very common usage in the UK. For those wondering, it means there's not a significant difference between the things being compared. You could say: six of one, half a dozen of the other
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
I have Diamant on hold, not realizing it is the same game as Incan Gold or is it? If I already have Incan Gold why would I buy Diamant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I have Diamant on hold, not realizing it is the same game as Incan Gold or is it? If I already have Incan Gold why would I buy Diamant?

The new Iello Diamant is the same as Incan Gold.
You would buy it if:
1. You like the the new edition better and decide to get rid of Incan Gold.
2. You want to make a mix-and-match set. I prefer the art of Incan Gold but the chests and meeples of Diamant, so that's what I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:

The new Iello Diamant is the same as Incan Gold.
You would buy it if:
1. You like the the new edition better and decide to get rid of Incan Gold.
2. You want to make a mix-and-match set. I prefer the art of Incan Gold but the chests and meeples of Diamant, so that's what I did.

or 3. you want two copies. I have one copy that stays at home and one copy that I generally keep at work (not so much at the moment but I have done before)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold Incan Gold to fund the nicer Diamant.

Incidentally, I wonder what are the differences between the new and old Diamant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yangtze2000 wrote:

Incidentally, I wonder what are the differences between the new and old Diamant?

The original Diamant didn't have relics....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pusboyau wrote:
yangtze2000 wrote:

The original Diamant didn't have relics....

Ah I didn't know that.

What about the components? Were the original treasure chests better quality? etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember, but the wooden meeples in the latest edition are amazing...plus if I recall there was no cards to indicate if going forward or back to camp, this was done by putting your meeple in your fist if you wanted to leave (i.e. everyone still exploring put their fist forward and revealed simultaneously, empty hand meant still exploring).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pusboyau wrote:
...if I recall there was no cards to indicate if going forward or back to camp, this was done by putting your meeple in your fist if you wanted to leave (i.e. everyone still exploring put their fist forward and revealed simultaneously, empty hand meant still exploring).

Yes, this is by far the better and more fun way to do it regardless of edition. If you have Incan Gold add 1 meeple per player to enable this method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have both. While we love Diamont for the clean graphics and the overview of the cave path, we miss the creepy things from Incan Gold. The mummy is especially terrifying. Plus all the relics from Incan Gold are awesome. We've even named them.

I'm thinking about making cardboard tokens from the Incan Gold relics that we would hand out to explorers who claim Diamant artifacts.

"Throw me the idol, and I'll throw you the whip."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.