Mice and Mystics» Forums » Rules

Subject: Roll for movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
If on my turn I only want to move say up to my move score why must I roll the dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't, really. There are a few situations where rolling is necessary. In the courtyard in chapter 1, for example. A movement roll of 1 triggers an attack by the crow. If there are no events that trigger on particular die rolls, then I don't roll unless I need more movement than base movement+1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes, a game effect looks at the result of the move roll you made.
In that case, you can't decide to forgo the roll and ignore the effect. That is why it's a rule that you have to do it each turn.

But sure, whenever no such effect is in place, you can ignore the roll if you are not going to move anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
cheers guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Brett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oilerfan wrote:
You don't, really. There are a few situations where rolling is necessary. In the courtyard in chapter 1, for example. A movement roll of 1 triggers an attack by the crow. If there are no events that trigger on particular die rolls, then I don't roll unless I need more movement than base movement+1.

On Group 4's pbf we're in chapter 5, and there's a movement roll rule in the queen's chambers. Roll a 1 and get tangled in webs. Yurk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of what's been said is correct.

I'd only add, if after some time playing you get bored of rolling that many dice for everything, that you could try this house-rule:

Quote:
Fixed movement (credits to Moshimon):

- Mice can move up to their Movement score (the green paw)+1 spaces in their turn.
- A Scurry action now means that a die is rolled and the number is added to the number of spaces the mouse is able to move.
Scurry doesn't allow to move a second time, as it does in the original rules. It only allows to move once, but a longer distance. This is very important when in water spaces, as a mouse can now move only one space per turn, not two as in the original rules (Move+Scurry). This makes water spaces more dangerous.
Also, note that a Scurry is already an action, so a mouse can't Scurry to an Exploration space AND Explore in the same turn, for example.

- Enemies have the following fix number of spaces they can move:
Centipede: 1
Rats (including Cpt. Vurst as an ally): 2
Spider and Cockroaches: 3

In situations where a certain number or symbol in the movement die bears consequences [when in the Courtyard with the Old Crow; or in the King's Bedroom in Chapter 8, when trying to sneak into the King's bed], the die is still rolled to know if the effect is triggered, but the showing number is not used to calculate the mouse's movement.
Optional: In those situations, roll as many dice as the mouse's Movement score (the green paw). If a * shows up, then the test is succesfully succeeded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.