Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
My PhD thesis - available at all good booksellers... ;0)
mbmbmbmbmb
To my abject shame this is one of those games that I bought, punched, clipped and then returned to the shelf for 'another day'. This is by no means a negative comment on this particular game, it happens all too often, I am afraid.

Spurred on by the battle's anniversary I brought it to the table yesterday for the very first time and opened the rule book, determining not to leave until I'd read it, learned it and played a game.

My only regret is that I didn't do this a long time ago. It really is a beautiful system, clean, streamlined, but with tons of nuance. To be fair, I am not sure this post belongs in the review forum, forgive me if it should be elsewhere.

All I wanted to say was: Go and buy this game and don't leave it on your shelf!!!

It's absolutely perfect to play solo, with no hidden information and usually a 'best thing for each side to do' option that means both sides can be represented fairly.

The rule-book is an object lesson in clarity and it's very easy to relocate any issues that come up during play. For once, I didn't have even one problem during my learning and interpretation of the rules.

The game-play is, by definition, rather tight and constricting, but that's where the fun resides, in going toe-to-toe with such differing forces in claustrophobic conditions.

I can't recommend this game highly enough and at its price-point you'd be hard-pressed to ever get better value for money.

I learnt some tactical issues the hard way yesterday so I'll be doing it all again today but this time my Norman archers won't be getting annihilated - or at least not quite so quickly!

Huge kudos to everyone involved in the production of this gem; now, if you don't already own a copy, do yourself a favour and put your order in today so that you can relive this battle 950 years after it occurred - there couldn't be a better time to get involved...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin, I'm glad you got to playing this. Thanks for the kind comments and supporting the game. Norm.

P.s. It takes a brave Anglo-Saxon to give up the protection of the hill to attack archers (mandatory advance after combat) as the Norman cavalry will be immediately released from their starting restrictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.