$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » Rules

Subject: Alfonso Ortega rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergey Zubtsov
msg tools
Alfonso Ortega - Gunsmith: Colony: Once per round you may remove 2 food tokens from supply to search 1 item deck (only locations 1-6) for 1 gun card. If you find one, equip it to a survivor at the colony.

What's "search" here? Does player look for the deck cards one by one and take first weapon he finds? Or player can choose any gun from entire deck? Or he should look for 1 up to 5 cards with noise tokens and take weapon if he finds it?
Second variant looks pretty OP.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've never think about all the other ways.


Take one item deck... look at all the cards from above and take the first weapon card. Give it someone in the colony.

There is not mentioned, that you should use the noise token. There is not mentioned, that you search after all the guns and then pick one of your choice...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergey Zubtsov
msg tools
Thanks. I wasn't sure how it works.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting... I had interpreted it as look at the entire deck and pick any 1 card with the pistol symbol. Official clarification on this one would be nice...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it as looked at entire deck and pick any card with a pistol symbol, as Todd France interpreted. I made a lot of comments about the balancing of search abilities on characters and cards during playtesting so I'm pretty sure that's the intended interpretation.

Alfonso Ortega is not that OP. 2 Food is quite costly and keeps the ability from being used every turn. Further, as the game progresses there is a huge diminishing return to digging for more guns, as opposed to digging up new books (like the other search character, which was drastically toned back after some of my balancing comments) or any Raxxon deck card (yeah... thank god for playtesters). That's basically the reason why he was only minorly tweaked.

Also, his ability is really well written IMO because it's a really good Betrayer character as well. Sure, Betrayer can just eat the food at any time for boosting dice, but if you want to stay under the radar, getting guns vs keeping your food is enough of a dilemna that you can get away with it much easier by using Alfonso as a pretext to keep the food caches low.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why should he pick any of his choice?

He pays 2 Food and can take a weapon of a location of his choice. Thats quite good - already. Don't you think so?

2 Food is nothing to get the ultimate weapon in the game

But 2 Food should be enough with the risk to get a Baseball Bat or something
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I read it is that you pay 2 Food and then you decide which Location you want to look at. Like, Police Station. Then you grab the Police Station deck, and look at as many cards as you want -- even the whole deck. Then you choose one of the cards with the gun symbol on it and equip to a survivor that is at the Colony.

It doesn't say this, but I would then shuffle the Police Station deck and put it face down back on its location.

You certainly wouldn't do anything with the Noise tokens. Remember, Alfonso can only perform this ability if he is at the Colony. So, I think it represents the fact that he is building the weapon at the Colony -- he is a gunsmith.

As a side note, this could also be used to look at a card that a player put on the bottom of a location deck after they made noise. Maybe a player said he was looking for Fuel at the Gas Station, for the current Crisis, but claimed that he didn't find any. Alfonso could then pick up the Gas Station deck, look at the bottom, and say, "Hey! What is this Fuel card doing here, Jonny??"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
As a side note, this could also be used to look at a card that a player put on the bottom of a location deck after they made noise. Maybe a player said he was looking for Fuel at the Gas Station, for the current Crisis, but claimed that he didn't find any. Alfonso could then pick up the Gas Station deck, look at the bottom, and say, "Hey! What is this Fuel card doing here, Jonny??"

That's a fascinating hack, which I doubt was intentional. Maybe the player should shuffle the deck before searching...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
randomlife wrote:
As a side note, this could also be used to look at a card that a player put on the bottom of a location deck after they made noise. Maybe a player said he was looking for Fuel at the Gas Station, for the current Crisis, but claimed that he didn't find any. Alfonso could then pick up the Gas Station deck, look at the bottom, and say, "Hey! What is this Fuel card doing here, Jonny??"

That's a fascinating hack, which I doubt was intentional. Maybe the player should shuffle the deck before searching...


Yeah, I like that better. Maybe all of this stuff was just too wordy to fit on the card. But in that case, they should just clarify it in the rulebook.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During playtesting Alfonzo was the least used survivor in our play sessions. Two food does not SEEM costly, but it can be the matter of morale loss when you have unwanted helpless survivors later and can't find enough food. Also, this is two food tokens from the supply, not a "2 Food" card, which means that someone had to have created waste as well. Additionally, if you just go to the police station, it is unlikely that you won't find SOME kind of weapon pretty easily in most games... and you might pick up other necessities in the meantime.

I guess he has a place, I just think his price is steep for something you can just have someone go search the police station for. When anyone uses it, I automatically assume they're the betrayer until proven innocent just because it something you would otherwise likely NOT have to pay anything for.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
During playtesting Alfonzo was the least used survivor in our play sessions. Two food does not SEEM costly, but it can be the matter of morale loss when you have unwanted helpless survivors later and can't find enough food. Also, this is two food tokens from the supply, not a "2 Food" card, which means that someone had to have created waste as well. Additionally, if you just go to the police station, it is unlikely that you won't find SOME kind of weapon pretty easily in most games... and you might pick up other necessities in the meantime.

I guess he has a place, I just think his price is steep for something you can just have someone go search the police station for. When anyone uses it, I automatically assume they're the betrayer until proven innocent just because it something you would otherwise likely NOT have to pay anything for.


But you get to pick up the Location deck and search through it until you find the BEST weapon. And you can do this all from the comfort of the Colony. That's so much easier than traveling to the Police Station and just seeing the top couple of cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, but I find it to be very problematic. Starvation is so much worse than a bite if you find yourself unable to come up with enough food, or there is a betrayer who is hoarding a 2/3 outsiders card with no intention of providing food (or claiming we need the extra action dice) etc etc.

I'd rather have Kevin, Thomas Hart, Anita, or other such anti-zombie survivors on my side. Everyone plays differently, I just know my group tends to stay away from Alphonzo-Alonzo.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno kowalski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that with Ortega there is no need to go to Police Station. Just send more guys to search for food.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.