Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian B
United States
Leawood
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a great game of Napoleon by Columbia Games the other night and I led the French. Alex took the allies and deployed his blocks with the British shaded towards Brussels in the center and the Prussians far forward with lots of pickets. I set the French up in three basic groups. Cavalry and stronger blocks on the flanks and bluffing stack of weaker units in the center. My hopes were to gobble up some single Prussian blocks and make a cavalry sweep down the right flank and try to sneak Liege, putting the Prussians out of supply if possible. Sadly, Alex is one of those smart people who make my gaming life a trial of humility.

In the opening French turns I tried to see if I could suck some Prussian blocks over to the British side to free up the road to Liege by pushing a large pile of blocks towards Ghent, the lightly held supply town on the far left side of the board. The Allies early turns were spent concentrating the dispersed Prussian blocks into larger piles and moving British units from Brussels to Ghent to counter the French. The French used a force march to stop a complete reinforcement of Ghent and a big battle developed with all nearby blocks being drawn into the fight. After much dice rolling the French controlled Ghent and in the next two French turns supply attrition knocked the British out of the game.

Meanwhile the Prussians had formed a dense wall of blocks fairly well forward and it looked like too much for the French to handle in a pitched battle. In response to this the French force marched all available cavalry from Ghent across the back of the board towards undefended Liege, hoping to draw some Prussian blocks back and weaken the Prussian front. This worked to a degree and in the final turns of the game the French were able to isolate some of the Prussians for a final all or nothing battle. This was a long nailbiter and in the end the French came up short by just a couple blocks. The British and Dutch forces had worn down the French just enough to allow the allied victory.

Conclusion: As the French I used many forced marches to isolate groups of enemy blocks and start battles on favorable terms. However this did cost quite a few forced march losses, and I think I tried it too often. At the end of the game Alex did a great job of withdrawing the Prussians from their forward positions and keeping his forces together. Time and troops ran out. In the end Napoleon strode the front lines trying to keep handful of one strength units from fleeing, which was a fitting end. Our game was played at a relaxed pace and lasted two and a half hours. Napoleon is a great block wargame and I’d recommend it in an instant. It’s nice to play something that has light rules, deep play and is not based on World War Two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Very good "Session Report" here Brian, and we're also glad to see that you can fit "gamings" within your busy 'sketchings' schedule. If you weren't aware of the recently implemented "Personal Gallery" feature here, then perhaps the next time that you break any "game" out, and especially this 'one' here, why you could take some photos as it transpires to include those within your narrative as well eh? There doesn't need to be an extensive amount of these, while having some to better illustrate what is going on and display that will hopefully become the "trend" here. It will also show others just which version of it all that you engaged within as well, as there are several kinds of this particular "game". That too, shall "show off" the details for whatever is being covered in this manner, while we do look forwards to many others that you can provide, with the ascribed method that I've thusly described herein.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Walter
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my perspective as my first time playing Napoleon, this is one of those great games that took a moment to learn and offers a lifetime of enjoyment due to its complexity. I must preface that my "moment to learn" view is from someone who has played three other block games, and so the mechanics are very comfortable to me.

As far as this one game went, I think that I set my forces too far forward and the limited number of moves afforded to the allies meant that I was consolidating my forces (read as running away) for the first half of the game. My British and Dutch forces were terribly spread out and Brian quickly dispatched them.

The Prussians were in better shape since Brian was focusing on the red side of the board. I had a defensive network that made advancing on that flank an unpleasant option for him for much of the game. Then after the British and Dutch retired I was able to fall back in good order to defend the supply city. There were at least two battles between the Prussians and French prior to the game’s end. The Prussians were forced to withdraw from the first battle and the force was weakened significantly as a result. In the next movement phase, I was able to mix the weaker units with stronger neighboring forces and I think Brian was expecting a weaker foe for the second battle. That combined with the unpleasant results of many forced marches for the French ultimately tipped the scales in the Prussian's favor... although just barely.

As a game, Napoleon is great for the ease of learning, the complexity for repeated play, and the time. At 2.5 hours it was great! My only negative thought, and negative is too strong of a word, is that the side battles may be too tedious? But I also feel that the feeling of having your neighboring forces sucked into a battle is wonderfully disconcerting. I'm still thinking on that issue.

Thanks for a great game, Brian! I look forward to another go at it in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.