Subject: Search For Life (Card 005) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I think the game is fantastic as is. I've played a 2-player and a solo game so far and really loving it. This is my only rules query, to do with the Search For Life card.

I assume "Reveal" means as it does in something like Dominion, reveal the card to the whole table. Makes sense so everyone can verify the presence (or lack) of a microbe tag.

The real question is what happens to the card after it is a revealed? Does it go into the players hand or the discard? Or shuffled back into the deck? We decided that it should be discarded as other cards tell you explicitly "Draw X Card(s)" and since this one does not, it must go into the discards. Opinions? I did search on BGG at the time but I don't think anything had been posted about it.

Secondary question, and something that my opponent asked, does the Science resource on the card count as a Science tag? I argued no, since tags are defined as the round symbols in the top right of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question, I was wondering the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Steinberger
Germany
Taunusstein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right. Both times.
The card gets discarded, this was clarified in the forums already but I can't fing it either right now.
The science resource is no science tag. Like you said, Tags are round symbols on cards. This science resource is only needed for the victory points at the end of the game IIRC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yepp, a resource is not a tag, its a resource. On this card it's "only" worth points and can't be used in other ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LoneJericho wrote:
The card gets discarded, this was clarified in the forums already but I can't fing it either right now.

Yep, it's also explicitly stated in the German FAQ/errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers guy, much appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tucker
msg tools
Hmm we have been putting it back on top of the deck, Becuase in any other game reveal just shows the top card. Like its a rover,Mir just showed you what's out their.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul troke
United Kingdom
hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
The Beatles Live at the BBC
mbmbmbmbmb
I,m a bit confused by this card
It says score three points if you have at least 1 science resource
so why would you bother spending a mega credit after you have the i resource, also can you carry on searching if the card has reached it's
max oxygen level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
paultro wrote:
so why would you bother spending a mega credit after you have the i resource, also can you carry on searching if the card has reached it's
max oxygen level.

This one was hard to describe in a short and clear way. We didn't want people to misread that you could get more than 3 VPs. So, no, if you have found life, you don't have to search anymore...

The rules state that the requirements (upper-left on the cards) only applies when you play the card from your hand. When the card is already in play you should ignore requirements just as you ignore the card cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paultro wrote:
max oxygen level.

thematically, you can continue searching more life after having discovered it, but any discovery after that would pale in comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
paultro wrote:
so why would you bother spending a mega credit after you have the i resource

Sometimes you'll want to delay a certain action for as long as you can within a generation, but not pass. Search For Life, even if you already have the 1 counter on it, offers the opportunity to perform a delaying action for just 1 M€.

Most of the time tho, you will just no longer use the action on that card after you've found Marsian life.

Quote:
also can you carry on searching if the card has reached it's max oxygen level.

Yes, and this is true for all cards: Their requirements need only be met at the moment you play the card from your hand, they don't go "inactive" later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Spanish Fort
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EagleEye80 wrote:
paultro wrote:
max oxygen level.

This one was hard to describe in a short and clear way. We didn't want people to misread that you could get more than 3 VPs. So, no, if you have found life, you don't have to search anymore...

And here I thought it was because there was maybe a card that allows you to remove or move Science Resources from another card that I hadn't seen. In that case, you might have wanted to add an extra one just in case.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.