Polis: Fight for the Hegemony» Forums » General

Subject: The die rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Having liked Antike Duellum a lot, I got interested in Polis.

However, I frowned when I saw the conquest system based on a die, like, if you have 5 hoplites to conquer a city with a defense of 2, you can still fail, i.e. somehow lose an action + lose 1 hoplite just out of bad luck.

So I was wondering – is there any way to mitigate die rolls or does it come down to odds when you want to conquest? In the latter case, it may be too frustrating for me, despite all the cool ideas in the game.

(I know you can trigger civil wars with silver)

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought precisely the same, in the beginning. And I was looking for ways to play this game without the die roll, or ways to mitigate chance here.

And there are a few diceless variants, or some that mitigate the impact. One of my own ideas was to sacrifice a unit to get a reroll, although that is not the best one, I think.

However, a few years in, now, I value the die roll highly.
Why?
Because it is a risk. A risk you consciously take when besieging a polis. There are possibilities to take over cities without this (Civil War), and they are important. VERY important. So you will always calculate whether this or that siege is worth the risk. Also, only very few poleis have a high chance of failure, here. Most have a fortification of 2 (75% chance of success) or 1 (success guaranteed). Only 4 have a fortification of 3 (50% success), and 2 available poleis have a fortification of 4 (25% success).
In addition, if you make besieging poleis less of a risk, you will inadvertently strengthen the Spartan side of the game. Spartans thrive on land, and will inevitably create more hoplites than Athens. If besieging a polis is more calculable, Spartans will have an easier time to take over key points of Athenian strategy.

I'd suggest going into the game with that idea in your head - that besieging is a risk you have to be willing to take. That way, you will only try this if you have done everything else up to that point. And it won't feel like an aspect of chance that is shoehorned in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I recommend using an eight-sided die instead though. Rolls better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't change the randomness or outcome, but changes the "feel", true dat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to quote Dumon on that. I detested the die roll, now, as I have played more, I have come to love it. Polis is thus a game of strategy and also risk management.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Vall
Spain
Barcelona
[Península
flag msg tools
Dumon wrote:
I thought precisely the same, in the beginning. And I was looking for ways to play this game without the die roll, or ways to mitigate chance here.

And there are a few diceless variants, or some that mitigate the impact. One of my own ideas was to sacrifice a unit to get a reroll, although that is not the best one, I think.

However, a few years in, now, I value the die roll highly.
Why?
Because it is a risk. A risk you consciously take when besieging a polis. There are possibilities to take over cities without this (Civil War), and they are important. VERY important. So you will always calculate whether this or that siege is worth the risk. Also, only very few poleis have a high chance of failure, here. Most have a fortification of 2 (75% chance of success) or 1 (success guaranteed). Only 4 have a fortification of 3 (50% success), and 2 available poleis have a fortification of 4 (25% success).
In addition, if you make besieging poleis less of a risk, you will inadvertently strengthen the Spartan side of the game. Spartans thrive on land, and will inevitably create more hoplites than Athens. If besieging a polis is more calculable, Spartans will have an easier time to take over key points of Athenian strategy.

I'd suggest going into the game with that idea in your head - that besieging is a risk you have to be willing to take. That way, you will only try this if you have done everything else up to that point. And it won't feel like an aspect of chance that is shoehorned in...

I agree with all you said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.